Snake Protectors

Go down

Snake Protectors

Post by BIG GEM on Sat 21 Apr 2018, 9:34 pm

Can anybody recommend Snake protector gaiters to use whilst prospecting.

Appreciate an advice.

BIG GEM

Back to top Go down

Re: Snake Protectors

Post by Flouro on Sun 22 Apr 2018, 8:45 am

Hi Big Gem,

We looked into them a bit and if you look how a snake bites with it's mouth wide open and thrust at your leg it surely would penetrate any of those "snake gaitors" on ebay except for the most expensive american ones in our opinion

Most of ebay ones are for snow and grass seeds but as for snake bite , i dont think so BUT that is our opinion only

Ron

Flouro

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs on Sun 22 Apr 2018, 6:55 pm

Reeds have 2 brands of snake gaiters for sale but I'm not sure of the quality.
From memory, I did read something some years back that said a snake will usually hit somewhere between the knee and ankle and from the front but, the strike force can in some instances penetrate what is known as bullet proof glass.
All I can say is, make sure they have solid protection front and sides to stop the fangs getting through. Check out DD Leather, they used to make gaiters and I think they were good quality.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by au-fever on Mon 23 Apr 2018, 5:01 am

BIG GEM wrote:Can anybody recommend Snake protector gaiters to use whilst prospecting.

Appreciate an advice.

Hi Big Gem

I found this website as I was looking into some better snake protection myself, if you go to the website you can find a retailer near you and see what sizes they do and so on, cant see any prices but what price can you put on your life I suppose if they save you from a fatal bite, the only other option for protection is to wear canvas or leather gaiters over the top of long pants as our most common snake the Gwadir only has 3-4mm long fangs so when it bites it may not get through to the flesh anyway, better safe than sorry the more protection the better.

https://snakeprotex.com.au/snakefacts/australias-1-deadly-snake-the-brown-snake

cheers

au-fever

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Post by BIG GEM on Mon 23 Apr 2018, 9:00 am

Hi all, many thanks for advice.  i will get Joan to follow it up and give feedback after purchase and use. Bob

BIG GEM

Back to top Go down

Post by purple-dragon on Mon 23 Apr 2018, 9:39 am

May sound strange but I cut the legs (thigh down)off a old 5 mill wetsuit so you end up with two separate legs and you just roll them on and they also protect your knees when grovelling to the wife or in the dirt -Dragon
purple-dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Selfy on Mon 23 Apr 2018, 6:17 pm

they also protect your knees when grovelling to the wife

might get me some of them

Selfy

Back to top Go down

Post by au-fever on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 4:46 am

Gday

The medium sized ones are about $140, what put me off the ones I saw in the detecting shop (think they are American made for rattlesnakes?) is that they are hard cased and look uncomfortable, that s all well and good if you are just walking about, but when you are bending and digging holes they might make that awkward and end up being a pain, the snakeprotex ones are multi layered fabric so they should be similar to wear as the hiking type canvas gaiters and move a bit with you.

cheers

au-fever

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Post by homer08 on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 12:07 pm

Hi Bob, I have a pair of the type au-fever has mentioned.
I don't reckon a snake could pierce them, these ones are sort of segmented and not circular and the straps on the buckles wore through due to rubbing. I still have them as backup and just run duct tape around to hold them on, works ok.

homer08

Back to top Go down

Post by AussieAU on Tue 24 Apr 2018, 1:36 pm

Another way is to cut the foot part off a pair of gumboots, just slip the thing on, then put on your boots and slide gumboot down, no buckles to worry about, job done.

---------------
Wouldn't it be nice!

AussieAU

Back to top Go down

Post by BIG GEM on Wed 25 Apr 2018, 6:03 pm

Many thanks guys, so many out there so we are going to try a few "make our own". Let you know how we go.

BIG GEM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum