Dumb question time

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dumb question time

Post by Bignuggs on Fri 24 Nov 2017, 5:49 pm

I like to do baked spuds in a campfire but, I either undercook or overcook them.
What do ya's reckon is the recommended time to leave them under the coals
The next time I do them, I'll have sour cream and chopped spring onions with them YUMMY  Very Happy

kwdf
Cliff

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Dumb question time

Post by mark409 on Fri 24 Nov 2017, 6:15 pm

i stick a sharp knife  thru the alfoil ,if it goes to the middle easily ,their cooked.
mark409

Back to top Go down

Post by Flouro on Fri 24 Nov 2017, 7:52 pm

Hi BN,

Sherri's way of doin spuds is to first give them a quick boil in water on the stove and then wrap in al foil and put them on hot coals works a treat especially the timing as we have them just after our normal bbq

Cheers, Ron Sherri and Yoda

Flouro

Back to top Go down

Post by boobook on Sat 25 Nov 2017, 5:15 am

We really enjoy camp fire spuds, carrots etc.......
With spuds I go to a little bit of extra trouble.
Wash the spuds (if needed) then slice 2/3 the way through at about 1/4" spaces. Place on a sheet of alfoil and smear butter, minced garlic, salt and pepper over. Wrap the spud in the alfoil (you can do 2 together this way) folding the foil over in such a way you can easily undo without tearing it to bits.
Scrape a depression in very hot coals, sit the spud(s) in and cover with more very hot coals. After around 30 mins I poke a bit of thin wire in to check progress. Usually around 45 mins. for nicely browned, depends somewhat on the size of the spuds.
Takes a couple of goes before everything clicks, but once mastered its the ducks guts of spuds cheers
Mike
boobook

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar on Sat 25 Nov 2017, 7:05 am

Roast Chicken & vegies

1. Two large aluminium trays.

2. Dig a hole and light fire to get good supply of hot, glowing coals.
3. Place chicken in foil tray, pour oil (preferably “olive”) over chicken. Peel a whole onion and cut into pieces and place under chicken… Insert a clove of garlic inside chicken.. (Not essential)

4. Cover tray with several layers of alfoil.

5. Place tray on bare ground, shovel ash around tray up too the foil cover height.. Now shovel hot glowing coals onto the tray ensuring the lid is completely covered. Check the time!!!!

6. Prepare vegies, place in plastic bag and dust with cornflour. Place in second tray with olive oil and cover with foil.

7. Open tin of peas/ beans or what ever ready for heating.

8. Mix up a packet of Chicken gravy and water and place on side of cooking fire grate to simmer.

9. When the chicken has been cooking for one hour, place veg tray next to it... Once again repeat step 5.

10. Note the time and now heat the greens and prepare the gravy.

11. 40 minutes after recovering with coals remove chicken and vegies.
12. Total cooking time 1 hour 40 minutes for a family size chicken.

Enjoy, it is delicious.

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."

Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrubby on Sat 25 Nov 2017, 6:39 pm

A Dumb Question.

When you have a DUMB question do you have to have a Dumb answer?

Well anyway when cooking spuds in the campfire, stick a couple of 4" nails through each one (wire will do if you don`t have nails) the heated nail cooks the inside of the spud much quicker.

Scrubby

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto on Sun 26 Nov 2017, 11:06 am

i cook until they sound hollow by tapping with a fork. time depends on size

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiv on Sun 26 Nov 2017, 7:59 pm

I do the same as martinjso tap the spud and listen for hollowish sound if it has a real hollow sound then might be over done then just scrape centres out

Chiv

Back to top Go down

Post by Flakmagnet on Sat 02 Dec 2017, 1:17 pm

Do you guys ever worry about cooking with aluminum? I try to stay away from cooking with foil as much as possible. the Nails work really well, might be worth a try.
Flakmagnet

Back to top Go down

Post by boobook on Mon 04 Dec 2017, 5:49 am

If you have an aluminium concern (I know many do, and I wont cook in alloy saucepans, only s/s) you can scrunch up some baking paper, wrap the spuds in that first, then the alfoil.
Scrunching up the baking paper makes it easier to wrap around things or line a cake tin etc.
Mike
boobook

Back to top Go down

Post by geof_junk on Tue 05 Dec 2017, 5:39 pm

I leave it in the coals for as long as I can. I then cut it half remove the gold and throw away the spud as I was told that the amalgam poisoned the spud. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

geof_junk

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox on Tue 05 Dec 2017, 7:28 pm

I just press the foil with my finger. If the spud is soft it's done.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles on Thu 07 Dec 2017, 8:52 am

This probably was a dumb question because the answer to it was sitting here all the time! Razz

http://www.detectingwestaustraliangold.com/t4931-baking-paper-multix

Col
hohoho

Pebbles

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs on Thu 07 Dec 2017, 6:16 pm

Dumb question  lol!   here's another one
How long would you leave onions and carrots on the coals to bake them    

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by boobook on Fri 08 Dec 2017, 4:56 am

Spuds, carrots, onions, pumpkin whatever.
I always check with that thin bit of wire, if it goes through easily they are pretty much cooked.
Another 5 minutes won't make much difference anyway.

A tip on onions....if you peel the onions, before wrapping push a toothpick sideways across the middle. Stops the inside from extruding out the ends.
Don't forget to take it out before you start chewing. Sad
Mike
boobook

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar on Fri 08 Dec 2017, 6:00 am

Mike,
It's about time you wrote a book about your vast knowledge on bush cooking?
You could name it, Boobook's Book on Bush Cooking..................

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."

Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox on Fri 08 Dec 2017, 8:59 am

Nightjar wrote:Mike,
It's about time you wrote a book about your vast knowledge on bush cooking?
You could name it, Boobook's Book on Bush Cooking..................

BBBB or 4 B's or Boobook's Book on Bush Baking lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by boobook on Fri 08 Dec 2017, 10:44 am

Bit OT, but quite a few years ago when opal mining NW of Eromanga, late one afternoon we had just knocked off, when a Hi ace van came down the track, driver got out and introduced himself as Jack Absalom.

Never met him before, but well knew who he was and we had seen some of his tv documentaries.
Turned out he was looking to buy opal rough, had been a miner in the past but those days mainly travel and bush painting with selling opal through his gallery in Broken Hill.

Being the time of day it was we realised Jack would be camping the night so we excused ourselves to get cleaned up a bit.
Came back out after a shower, Ash (our partner) and Jack were still yarning, Ash had got the camp oven out as Jack had produced a leg of saltbush mutton from the Quilpie butcher. Not long to get a nice bed of gidgea coals going, camp oven on and Ana produced a bundle of foil wrapped spuds etc. to go in the coals later.

So the evening progressed, the slow cooked mutton and vege's melt in the mouth tucker and Jack regaled us with bush yarns till all hours. Boy, could he talk.

Next morning we negotiated over some rough, Jack would have preferred to swap a painting for it but we reckoned cash was easier to deal with.
As a parting gift he gave us a copy each of his book "Outback Cooking in the Camp Oven" which I still use to this day
Ah.......memories of the day drunken
Mike
boobook

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum