Access to Pastoral Lease

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Access to Pastoral Lease

Post by Nightjar on Sat 10 Jun 2017, 2:32 pm

Found this old (1990) photo of two of my mates keeping warm in an abandoned prospectors shack.
We dropped into Black Flag Station (Nth of Kalgoorlie) and introduced ourselves to the manager. During the course of the conversation he commented that we must be camping out going by what we had on our trailer. We said that was correct tents & swags.
He walked to his vehicle and said, "Follow me."
He took us to this shack and said if we kicked the spiders out we were welcome to stay there. We did just that and got the fire roaring.
And what a welcome this was it was in November but the day temperature never got over 14°C, as a matter of fact it snowed on the Porongurup's that week.
He the manager and nearby mine geos dropped in a couple of evenings and we had a beer or three. While they were there we asked how much gold would be in each road train that rumbled past every 20 minutes/24hours/day.
One of the geo's said there was approx $20K of gold in each load or $1.5million/day was rolling past.
Anyway this is just one example of how prospectors/mining companies and Pastoralists can work in harmony.

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."

Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Re: Access to Pastoral Lease

Post by mada on Sat 10 Jun 2017, 3:15 pm

Nice one Peter I have done similar with the pastoral lease holders I visit. I have no need for camping gear etc as I use the spare caravan on site, have 24 hour power, hot showers, internet if I need it, home cooked meals if I want (I contribute to costs as required) and if need help out around the station and always bring stuff up from Perth for them. Its a great relationship and proud to call them friends.

mada

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail on Sun 11 Jun 2017, 5:01 pm

Unfortunately things have changed a lot over the last 30 years and not for the better either. There are now so many people out there with some of those not giving a toss about where they go or whose toes they tread on, that pastoral stations (PLH) and mining tenement holders have reached breaking point.

I talk regularly with the head of the PGA and campaigns are being planned to put their rights ahead of ours. That's the future if we don't stop illegal prospecting and poor behaviour. No good blaming them. They're looking after their interests. They have the ear of the powerful landholder and green lobbyists. On the other hand, the tenement holders are seeking prosecutions for gold stealing etc. The early signs of a shite fight are starting to show.

I started prospecting back in 1983 and there was nobody out there "except me and another idiot between Kalgoorlie and Darwin"! Now, there's thousands of "bucket listers" with latest Landcruisers and 30 foot Bushtrackers. The Greenies are gathering ammo based on that and that's not good.

W

Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Simmo on Sun 11 Jun 2017, 8:03 pm

Yes Wedgetail and I recently said, "but what I am sure of is some idiot sitting in an air conditioned office down in St Georges Tce, can have an enormous amount of gold nuggets tied up out in the bush, so I can't go and find it. He has no intention of ever finding it himself, and because of sheer greed he stops me from finding it. One day you will need a Miners Right to go for a dip at Scarborough beach".
There has to be a better way
Young Simmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail on Tue 13 Jun 2017, 6:42 pm

Simmo,

The strange thing is that it's not the "West Perth Brigade" that are ACTIVELY taking action on illegal prospecting. They don't really care unless they catch you. The people that are getting very active are the small occupational miners that have leases and do it to make a living. No different to a tradie, a teacher or a nurse. They pay rates, rent and fees for those leases only to see guys walking in, lifting the gold and shooting thru. I've always had a Golden Rule,,,,"the companies are fair game, but leave the private leaseholders alone".

It's those small miner guys that are now becoming the enemy of the hobby detectorists. If this illegal stuff isn't stopped there will soon be lobbyists from the Pastoral side and the "real rent payers - the occupational leaseholders" that could manage to get a ban on recreational operators. That would be tragedy but unless people stop being greedy, uncaring and foolhardy, it could go that way. It could go that way because the small miners have the legal rights on their side, whereas - how can an illegal prospector complain to anyone that he has a problem with a legal miner? It's never gonna happen. Those that pay get the oil, those that don't pay get ignored.

In my position I get these discussions from APLA members regularly and often. Trust me, this is gonna get worse before it gets better.

Last edited by Wedgetail on Tue 13 Jun 2017, 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : second thought additions)

Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs on Tue 13 Jun 2017, 7:47 pm

We have GPS software available to ensure we don't go where we shouldn't but it only takes a few bad apples to stuff it for everyone.
I can understand why PLH's padlock gates and why the small lease holders are getting upset about it but we shouldn't all get tarred with the same brush.
I'm sure there are more people who do the right thing compared to those who don't so, what can we do to help keep ourselves in the game.
Just my opinion.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AussieAU on Tue 13 Jun 2017, 8:28 pm

and putting up a list of companies that give out permissions on the APLA news letter seems to have only p*ssed of those same companies big time as the office staff got swamped with requests and now the same companies are refusing all requests Mad

---------------
Wouldn't it be nice!

AussieAU

Back to top Go down

Post by pilko on Wed 14 Jun 2017, 6:09 am

Hi AussieAu....your right....I actually saw the positive in this in that at least people were trying to go about things the right way....then I see the negative side of it where people lob into a goldfields town and ask 'where can I go swinging mate?"...not good enough.....these idiots will wind up with some sort of general permissions area and that is where you will all wind up. For what it's worth I don't want to see that either. THE problem is people do no research....have no idea....come to a goldfields town and expect to be able to go somewhere the next day to find gold. That is why the companies were swamped and finally said no.

H Bignugs....good question mate....it's only my opinion....but any change is ONLY going to come from within the ranks of prospectors. It needs prospectors to stand up and basically say 'no' to their mates prospecting illegally....to take photo's and evidence and lodge it with the Gold squad in kalgoorlie when they see people prospecting where they shouldn't.... to take photo's and gather evidence and lodge with Gold squad if you come across people using machinary illegally..and to take photo's and gather evidence and lodge complaints when pastoralists or other 'stakeolders' are acting like tossers. The big question is....do we really want to be the "police" of the bush...and the answer is a definate no thanks....I'm here to find gold and put food on the table. But the reality is...we are out here...no-one else is.....and if we don't stand up and fight for our hobby/jobs then no-one else is going to. Just my thoughts.

pilko

Back to top Go down

Post by Chiv on Wed 14 Jun 2017, 6:43 am

we use to lock up padocks when I was in the plh game, we knew all the lease holders, they use to come to homestead and drop of a papper , bread, milk. They all knew that they get a key which they dropped of when they left, It worked both ways as some of the camps where quite well set up and it stopped theft. lock gates can be a pain in the ass as its more crap to do but like we all know it only take 1 to wreck it for every one.
Piko right in that you do have to do a fair bit of your own cop work and be methodical about how you record your evidence, its hard to get a conviction on anyone unless your prepared to go through the whole process with the GS. most people are real jumpy when they doing the wrong thing a couple of right placed words and they usually get the wind up them self and move on

Chiv

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail on Wed 14 Jun 2017, 9:25 am

Chiv wrote:we use to lock up padocks when I was in the plh game, we knew all the lease holders, they use to come to homestead and drop of a papper , bread, milk. They all knew that they get a key which they dropped of when they left, It worked both ways as some of the camps where quite well set up and it stopped theft. lock gates can be a pain in the ass as its more crap to do but like we all know it only take 1 to wreck it for every one.
Piko right in that you do have to do a fair bit of your own cop work and be methodical about how you record your evidence, its hard to get a conviction on anyone unless your prepared to go through the whole process with the GS. most people are real jumpy when they doing the wrong thing a couple of right placed words and they usually get the wind up them self and move on

Well said, Chiv, I remember the "good old days" as well. But not all PLHs were so inclined, some were antagonistic even 30 years ago. But as you say, the illegals often move on when challenged. The next question is obviously, "But do they simply move on to another spot and start again"? Can't win?

But we have to win or we could end up in "Fossicking Areas" such as the one up in Marble Bar. That was started by Marble Bar locals to attract tourists and keep people off granted tenements. That was years ago but there is now huge pushes from green lobbies to revitalise the outback - see below for one example and note the words "private conservation" which shows the true intent. If these groups team up with PLHs and get the ear of Government, how long will recreational prospecting last? Not long  - and welcome to the world of NSW and Victoria, nowhere to go worth going. So if the illegals keep at it and are unlikely ever to obey the rules, continue to swamp the goldfeilds, continue to piss off the PLHs etc,etc that all adds to the arguments of the green groups that we are irresponsible and not to be considered in any future arrangements. Then? - behave like a feral, get treated like a feral and then RIP recreational detecting.

The extract below is from an email that was sent to me by an APLA member. I will be writing to the Minister Saffioti on behalf of prospectors and miners.

A_second_chance_for_our_Outback....jpg

Hi James,

Yesterday we reached a major milestone which gives our Outback a fantastic second chance.

For years we’ve been working hard to change WA’s antiquated laws which have stopped the emergence of new, sustainable industries in our Outback – enterprises such as carbon farming, tourism and private conservation which support both people and nature.

But the new WA government has been a mystery on this issue. Would they finish the biggest Outback reforms in over a century that we convinced the previous government to start?

Yesterday WA Minister Rita Saffioti answered this critical question, telling ABC radio that she is “very keen” for rangelands reform to deliver for the Outback.

This is excellent news and Rita needs to know that we’re right behind her.

Please help thank her for this big first step. Send an automatic ‘thank you’ message here (make sure you add your name and suburb at the end). Even better, take a moment to edit the message and say thank you in your own words.

Minister Saffioti gave a short timeframe of 6-12 months, but even in this brief period it’s easy for Government to get distracted or go off the rails. Over coming months we’ll need your help to make sure they deliver. But in the meantime saying ‘thanks’ seems like the right thing to do now.

Imagine if we succeed! The outcomes would be remarkable, from the Kimberley to the Nullarbor, bringing about healthier landscapes and more prosperous Outback families, and helping safeguard the things that make WA so special.

The next few months are so important for our Outback that we’re expanding our team. If you’re interested in working for our Outback, have a look at the job outline here.

This week’s announcement is the first real sign that our new government is listening to Western Australians like you who care about the Outback.

Send a thank you message today and let’s make sure they keep listening!

Thanks,
David

David Mackenzie
Director, Partnership for the Outback
OurOutbackOurStory.org.au

To stop receiving emails, click here.

Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar on Thu 15 Jun 2017, 7:39 am

Wedgetail wrote:
David MacKenzie - Imagine if we succeed! The outcomes would be remarkable, from the Kimberley to the Nullarbor, bringing about healthier landscapes and more prosperous Outback families, and helping safeguard the things that make WA so special.
David Mackenzie
Director, Partnership for the Outback
OurOutbackOurStory.org.au

Mr MacKenzie should get out of his office and see what is really happening with their so called "remarkable recovery."
With the removal of thousands of windmills the wild dogs & feral goats move on or die.
Where do they move too?
Adjoining PL's where Mr & Mrs PLH are struggling to make a living after giving up on the animal that Australia rode on for decades, sheep.
If Mr MacKenzie took a drive out there back then he would have seen a thriving industry.
Today the once lone ranger wild dog has joined up in packs and now harass cattle.
Sheep only ever trimmed the flora to head height, actually promoting growth with the next rains.
Feral goats stand on their back legs and destroy most flora.
It will be a sorry day when all the PL's are shut down and the wild dogs then migrate into the adjoining sheep & wheat farming areas.

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."

Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail on Thu 15 Jun 2017, 10:56 am

Peter,

All that you say above is known to us and the PLHs. That's why the whole of the Pastoral Industry rose up against the Nationals, Terry Redman when he introduce his "Rangelands Reform Bill" about 18 months ago. However, we need to to write to the current Lands Minister, Rita Saffioti about our concerns as prospectors. The PGA can take of itself, it has money and staff. Whereas APLA has just a a couple of people that get involved and not much money.

Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum