Contacting Pastoral owners???

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Contacting Pastoral owners???

Post by madmax800 on Wed 10 May 2017, 4:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hi All,

Im wanting to contact a pastoral owner but do not know the persons name or address.

Is there any web sites that list this type of info.

Want to do as section 40 e states ..that is to contact the pastiral owner of my intentions to detect on his property.

Hope some one can help.

Thanks

madmax800
madmax800

Back to top Go down

Re: Contacting Pastoral owners???

Post by Nightjar on Mon 15 May 2017, 9:07 am

We had a working agreement with Weebo Station years ago when Bob Hodder was head honcho. They ran sheep back then and the track into Garden Well (Wilson's Patch) had a cyclone gate on in with a sign "Shut Gate" One morning we rounded up about 100 sheep that had strayed out onto the Goldfields Hwy and put them back through the gate and closed it. Next time Bob was doing his rounds he dropped into our camp and we told him about what we did. Hardy Thankyou.
Some a******e came along at a later date and pushed the gate post over with their vehicle and the gate was laying flat on the ground. We fixed it best we could and rang Bob next time we were in Leinster. He replaced the posts and concreted them in. At a later date the fence was cut about 1/2Km back towards Leonora.
This is probably just one in a 1000 instances that get Pastoralists back up.

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."

Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by madmax800 on Tue 16 May 2017, 2:26 pm

Well, thanks all for your replies.

I'm still unable to contact the PLH , might just have to copy the 40 e and post off to them but I will there there before the mail is I bet.

madmax800

madmax800

Back to top Go down

Post by Since1981 on Tue 16 May 2017, 2:36 pm

Just make sure you drop in and see them Madmax, best thing to do. And yes, Nightjar, the stories station people tell you about the attitude and antics of some prospectors are mind boggling. Makes you feel good to be doing the right thing, almost all of them are great people.
Since1981

Back to top Go down

Post by madmax800 on Tue 16 May 2017, 3:12 pm

Yep, will do that.

Also copied sect 40e and will post off in the morming.
2 addresses on 40e, one is a house number, the other is PO box.
Sending to house address
Thanks all
madmax800

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox on Thu 18 May 2017, 4:15 pm

Yes you must contact them. We did last week and still got stopped with a gunshot in the air. A very angry station manager yelled at us "YOU CAN'T BE HERE".

After about fifteen minutes of DISCUSSION he eventually said "Come as often as you like but call me first".

Of course we had called and showed him the notes from our diary where we had contacted his station manager and the neighbouring station manager during the previous week. We showed him the names, times and phone numbers from our diary. In the end he was satisfied.

Back to top Go down

Post by pilko on Thu 18 May 2017, 4:19 pm

So Moneybox....yu have some idiot firing a weapon 'against' you and you think that's ok??? Why wouldn't you report him to the local police?

pilko

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox on Tue 23 May 2017, 9:28 am

pilko wrote:So Moneybox....yu have some idiot firing a weapon 'against' you and you think that's ok??? Why wouldn't you report him to the local police?

Well I don't think he fired at me, it was dark and all I could see was his headlights but I'm sure he shot in the air. He was angry and I guess if he's losing cattle and having to pick up after a team of spoiled brats then I guess he has every right to be angry. I've done a similar thing in the past where I had to approach unwelcome visitors on my property after dark. You have to start by getting your message across loud and clear. I don't mind that he was armed or that he discharged his weapon.

In the end he gave us his blessing and offered for us to come as often as we wished providing we called him first. He even dropped by a few days later with his boss for a chat. After all, we were on his turf... it's just that he is the new manager in his first few days on the job so I guess he'll settle down when he get's into the swing of things.

Last week we travelled further east with the management couple from the neighbouring property looking for bottles and relics. These guys are having exactly the same issues but people doing the right thing are still welcome. While on this property we stumbled across a live lease belonging to a good friend of ours. It had an abandoned mine showing so we drove down for a look. There were two guys from Rockingham in two vehicles set up there, they had been there digging out gold for two weeks. They had no permission from the lease holder, no permission from the pastoral lease holder and they were cleaning up. They pretended they didn't have a GPS and they thought they were on a pending but they had just finished telling me they had been prospecting right up through the live lease next door.

Some just won't try to do the right thing and these are the guys that are ruining it for the rest of us. The pastoralists and lease holders have every right to be angry..... Evil or Very Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by shane-o on Tue 23 May 2017, 9:49 am

If someone fired near me in the dark with no warning my first instinct would be to eliminate the threat and asks questions later so that is a really stupid thing to do when he didn't know who was there or what kind of mindset they may have. Have you got the purple bus? Think I seen it on Saturday.

Back to top Go down

Post by Since1981 on Tue 23 May 2017, 9:53 am

"Some just won't try to do the right thing and these are the guys that are ruining it for the rest of us. The pastoralists and lease holders have every right to be angry....."

Couldn't agree more...
Since1981

Back to top Go down

Post by Hopperite on Tue 23 May 2017, 10:01 am

Have to agree with shane-o here. You would be crazy not to take that sort of threat seriously. You don't know who is getting around, mental state, drugs, alcohol etc.

I would suggest the manager return during daylight and approach the camp in a civil manner. Things could then proceed from there.

Hopperite

Back to top Go down

Post by Since1981 on Tue 23 May 2017, 10:04 am

Agree about the gunfire. No place for weapons around people. Car horn would have done if he wanted to get your attention first.
Since1981

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox on Tue 23 May 2017, 11:49 am

shane-o wrote:If someone fired near me in the dark with no warning my first instinct would be to eliminate the threat and asks questions later so that is a really stupid thing to do when he didn't know who was there or what kind of mindset they may have. Have you got the purple bus? Think I seen it on Saturday.

Yes Shane we're in the purple bus Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by pilko on Wed 24 May 2017, 6:12 am

Hi Moneybox, I'm going to appear as though I'm having a go at you mate....and I am. You are absolutely correct when you talk about idiot prospectors who ruin it for everyone else....I agree with you. But......only based on your comments above....I'm putting you in the same category. I know I'm going to sound like a broken record here...but...your talking about getting the PLH's permission.....you don't need it. Can you not see that with a WA Miners Right you have EVERY right to be going about your business. Actually (as I understand it) the Mining Act is the senior legislation. If you and others keep bowing down to other 'stakeholder groups' it will help to bring about the demise of recreational prospecting. I'm going to make a sweeping statement which is always going to be dangerous....your all the bloody same. Because you come out bush having little idea of the ins and outs of prospecting...not knowing your rights and obligations etc etc you all want to get along. I do to...but I know what the rules are and don't mind standing up for them...not just for me and Lisa...but for the young bloke in 50 years time that wants to get out and have a go. Going by what you have said...the idiot has committed an offence under the firearms ACt....and you say that you understand and that it's ok. You personally witness illegal mining...why didn't you take photo's and number plates and lodge a formal complaint with police?? These must have been real good friends that had the lease mate....others are there stealing from them and you do nothing!! (I am also making assumptions here). Please understand that it is not just you...most recreational prospectors are the same. You want to go prospecting and find some gold....you want to get in touch with your inner 'croc dundee' but you don't want to upset the boat...stand up for your right and in doing so bugger it up for generations to come. This is not about being 'militant'...I can't stand people with a cause...it's about quietly saying...'no'....that's not how it works mate. It's about us getting rid of as many 'idiots' within our ranks....and not letting common practice become law.

pilko

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox on Wed 24 May 2017, 6:55 am

Pilco I do understand the rules. No we don't need permission from the parstoralist but we have to make an effort to notify them we're coming which is what we did. The property manager has a right to know who is out there. These guys just roam about on land where they have no right to be. It does no harm to be polite to these farmers as well. It earned us a day out with the neighbour searching through several ruins on the property looking for bottles and relics.

We have geotagged photos of their camp, vehicles and father and son on the ground with a 5000 each in hand. As soon as we have sufficient internet we will pass these onto the lease holders.

Back to top Go down

Post by mada on Wed 24 May 2017, 7:17 am

Moneybox do these guys have a caravan??

mada

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox on Wed 24 May 2017, 8:50 am

mada wrote:Moneybox do these guys have a caravan??

This doesn't quite show the whole camp. They has more solar and sat-tv as well. With all this gear and years of detecting experience and the claimed they never had a GPS to get their location.

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox on Wed 24 May 2017, 9:02 am

I think we need to keep in mind that we have all done the wrong thing or been in the wrong place at some time or other. I have no intention of crucifying these guys. I'm advised them to move on and they did leaving hundreds of holes, filled in, and a clean campsite. I'm passing the info onto the lease holders and they can take further action if they wish.

Back to top Go down

Post by pilko on Thu 25 May 2017, 6:47 am

Hi Moneybox.... "I do know the rules...." "we have to make an effort to notify them...." No Moneybox....you do not know the rules...but most don't so your not alone there. Again, please do not think that I am having a personal go at you...I am not...but I am using your argument to try and get my point across. " it doesn't hurt to be polite....." I couldn't agree more mate...what does it cost?...50c and a few min of your time. Many pastoralists are reasonable folk and I get on fine with thm...just like many prospectors are reasonable folk.....what I am talking about is the prospectors and PLH that are NOT reasonable...again I say that some idiot who fires a rifle as a threat has no place out there.

"I have no intention of crucifying these guy's".....your right in that it's the leaseholders ultimate responsibility...but you have a responsibility as well...remember it's these thieves that one day will bring about an end to your detecting (just my opinion there btw) "they did leave hundreds of holes...."....again...are you shitting me??? what did they get do you think...ten....twenty oz??? and you don't want to crucify these guy's???? I respect that you will have a different opinion to me....that's people...but I cannot believe your attitude...if I have understood it correctly. Your mate is paying rents to the govt and rates to the shire....he has an expenditure obligation in the thousands each year....these thieves come in and steal gold off his lease....and you don't want to 'crucify' them. Tell me Moneybox...do you have any tenements???

pilko

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar on Thu 25 May 2017, 8:04 am

All this huffing & puffing over a simple courtesy call/email/letter of introduction.
Regardless of what the Mining Act says or doesn't say, there is one who will continue to courtesy call Pastoral Lease Holders if entering their holding, abide by their working day requests, extinguish campfire and take our rubbish with us.

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."

Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox on Thu 25 May 2017, 8:44 am

No I don't have any tenenents and I'm unlikely to because I cannot afford to maintain and work a lease. To many it appears to be more of a real estate investment than a mining venture but that's none of my business.

Pilco can you tell me honestly that you have not gone onto a pastoral lease without notifying them?
Can you tell me honestly that you have not swung a detector on a live lease without permission?

If you answer NO I'm not going to believe you anyway but if it were true I think you are either very inexperienced or in a very small minority group.

We've all done the wrong thing in the past but it's time to clean up our act. This is still Australia, the police don't have to be involved every time somebody steps over the line.

This PLH may have technically broken the law by discharging his weapon but he was just being a bit wrekless, being Australian in my opinion :)

The guys on the lease were also acting in the same manner only in there case ther were actually harming somebody else so we took sufficient evidance of their actions to pass on the the people affected. How they treat it is their business.

Perhaps you are a lease holder and therefore seem a little passionate about it all but before you became a lease holder did you behave in the same manner?

Well I've had suffient to say on this thread and I'm happy with my actions.

Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by araratgold on Thu 25 May 2017, 8:47 am

Nightjar wrote:All this huffing & puffing over a simple courtesy call/email/letter of introduction.
Regardless of what the Mining Act says or doesn't say, there is one who will continue to courtesy call Pastoral Lease Holders if entering their holding, abide by their working day requests, extinguish campfire and take our rubbish with us.

I like your attitude Peter.  
It doesn't hurt to notify the pastoralist, even though, as Tony has pointed out, we technically don't need to.
Courtesy goes a long way. As I stated earlier in this thread, the pastoralist we called in on showed my Dad and I where we could get some washing water.
Cheers,
Rick
araratgold

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox on Thu 25 May 2017, 8:52 am

Sorry madmax800 if we got a little carried away there. Did you get your answer in the end?

Happy prospecting...... Some of us are Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by pilko on Thu 25 May 2017, 1:32 pm

Hi Gents....wan't trying to huff and puff....just have an important discussion. More than happy to agree to disagree...as I said...nothing personal at all. Lisa and I also contact the PLH when new to an area...if they show us respect we show them respect...and as I have said many times...most of the time it works out well for all. I'll get back to building my processing plant!!

pilko

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto on Sat 27 May 2017, 10:11 pm

I think everyone has voiced their oppinion with respect and this topic has been answered so its best to close it off.cheers

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum