Not sure if I have posted this before but I'll take a punt.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Not sure if I have posted this before but I'll take a punt.

Post by Young Simmo on Sat 11 Feb 2017, 10:41 pm

A dig in the ribs from Wifey who says, “Turn the alarm off and get up, you are the smart ar*e who wants to go at one O’clock”. Then the penny drops, today is D day after weeks of planning. My mate Butch and I have 2 weeks of leave to spend metal detecting in the Gascoyne  with our fail safe GT 16,000 detectors.
The trusty old Toyota Personnel carrier was loaded yesterday complete with 2 cartons VB that my better half knows about. I drive over to Butch’s place we load the other 12 cartons which were hidden behind the cement mixer at the back of his shed. I believe too much knowledge is more dangerous than no knowledge where beer and women are concerned.
After leaving Perth at about 2 am we arrive in Cue at 9 am just in time to see the place waking up. We filled up with diesel and stopped just out of Cue on the Big bell road to study our maps and options. There are 4 roads out of Cue, South to Mt Magnet, North to Meekatharra, East to Sandstone and west to Big bell.
The great feature about Cue is, not only are all these destinations good detecting areas, but there are dozens of proven patches on both sides of the roads which have probably yielded 20,000 ounces plus over the last 10 or 12 years.
E.G. Mt Sandy 2,000ozs alone, then Klondike, Day Dawn, Webbs Patch and the Mainland etc, etc. All these places have been dry blown, scraped and detected, but nobody gets the lot. I should say here that our last two trips of two weeks each, only produced 13.5 Grams & 8 Grams each. That = 2 men X 1 Month = $322.50 divided by 2. Therefore our credibility with our wives is on the line on this trip.
We decided to camp a couple of days on the Mainland (20 Kms south of Cue). On arrival we changed our minds because although the sign writing was rough, the message was quite clear. After tracking back to Cue, then out on the Sandstone road we set up camp at Webbs Patch under trees where others had obviously camped. The sun was on the way down so we decided to get an hour of detecting in before we succumbed to the mysterious magnetic force that the Engel fridge seems to  emit.  After about 20 minutes, I turned up a nice one of about 10 grams. It took me about 10 seconds to decide that’s better than the whole of last trip.
Time to open the bar.

While lounging back in  my folda-chair and struggling through my 3rd can Butch wondered back. I said “I’ve paid for my share of the booze and you can have a can when you do the same“. He said “OK smart ar*e” and plonked a 7.3 oz beauty on top of my humble contribution.

We stayed another 2 days for one piece about a gram. The same old story, you get a piece early and it keeps you there for hours and sometimes days.
On the fourth morning it was time for a change, so up camp and over to the other side of town. Three hours of detecting  turned up 0.5 grams and 3 grams at Cuddingwarra. We decided to camp at Golden Gate which is a bit further out on the other side of the big Bell road. On the first day Butch turned up another beauty of 3 ozs, then nothing until the third day when we got 3 each for a total of 10 grams. Although this is our best trip ever, it seems with gold the more you get the more you want.
Over the remaining days we detected at Curtis Find, the Weld Ranges and finally on the way home in the hills at the back of the Cue golf Coarse. These places gave up 1.5 Grams, 7 grams and 11 grams.
Wow, what a trip, we have detected at about 6 or 7 places and got a bit at every place.
The trip home was about an hour less than the trip up as we couldn’t wait to get home and get some browney points on the board.
Ring,,,Ring,,,Ring,,,Ring.
There’s that lousy alarm again and wifey saying, “ it’s 7 o’clock, if you don’t get up you will be late for work“.
“Yes my friends that is the stuff dreams are made of“.
Young Simmo

Back to top Go down

Re: Not sure if I have posted this before but I'll take a punt.

Post by West_au on Sun 12 Feb 2017, 12:42 am

Great story mate and some good finds certainly worthy of dreaming about :)

Bet you can't wait to get going again and adding to the story. I can relate to the credibility with the missus. After many, many trips away my show is not real great. Hoping for a break eventually.

Low and slow hey!

West_au

Back to top Go down

Post by bazxa on Sun 12 Feb 2017, 6:36 am

Good story and a good trip.

bazxa

Back to top Go down

Post by toad on Sun 12 Feb 2017, 2:47 pm

Don't pay too much attention to those signs plastered all over the goldfields SIMMO. Mining companies and lease holders put them up by the dozens but rarely if ever take them down when the circumstances have changed.

Check on Tengraph/Geomaps or your printout from the local DMP office before you turn around and give up on a place. Many a pending or vacant spot has signs warning people off.
toad

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Simmo on Mon 13 Feb 2017, 10:31 pm

Thanks toad I can see where you are coming from , however the are a million spots worth a try around Cue, and after spending 9 years there I know where some of them are. In fact I found my biggest piece 5.5 Ozs on the side of the hill at The Mainland. That's it under the match box.
Cheers, Mate.
Young Simmo

Back to top Go down

Post by codgerwa on Wed 15 Feb 2017, 3:19 pm

G'day Young Simmo, I think I may know you from our detecting days in & around Cue/Daydawn, I was on the grader at the mine for Leightons at Invincible Gold in the late 80s & early 90s, my name is Steve, now on the net I'm codgerwa, I remember some really good times we had with Butch & Doug & Sandy. I will get back to you & Val later as I'm over in Sydney at the moment visiting my wifes rellies, but we will be back in perth some time in march & sometime after that
we will be going detecting for 4 to 5 months somewhere, (don't know where yet).
OK Bye for now, Steve, (codgerwa)

codgerwa

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Simmo on Wed 15 Feb 2017, 5:02 pm

Spot on Steve, I just read your comment out to Val and she said, "I remember Steve, he graded some ground for me when I was dryblowing". Yes them were the days, did you know that Dot followed their 32 year old son and died of Mesothelioma at age 60? I will catch up with a PM over the next day or so.
Cheers....Mate.
Young Simmo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum