sdc 2300

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

sdc 2300

Post by linlara on Tue 17 Jan 2017, 2:02 pm

Hi Fluoro
Making plans to head over early march as plans had to be altered because of building. Just picked up an sdc2300 for 32 hundred new which i didnt think was a bad price I see you and sherry are using one so any info you or anyone else can give me on their machine would be greatly appreciated.Hope to catch up when we get over
Lindsay

linlara

Back to top Go down

Re: sdc 2300

Post by Flouro on Tue 17 Jan 2017, 4:48 pm

Hi Lindsay,

Will try to catch up, we'll be heading up around end of March

The trick for us was to get it running as quiet as possible and just twiddling knobs doesn't do it

It's all in the ground balancing, you can get it to run extremely quiet that's when we found it works the best

We are trying to remember the exact method but from memory when ground balancing just leave the coil on the ground and wait for it to do it's stuff, if it doesn't ground balance the first time keep doing it till it does

Will get back to you when I talk to Rob at Prospectors Pick as that is where I heard it from originally

The SDC is not for all places but excels in very ironstony ground, you can find whole patches that the other detectors don't see, but very low and slower than slow is the go

Unlike Crazy Pete we have only found smalls with it sofar

Cheers,Ron Sherri and Yoda

Flouro

Back to top Go down

Post by linlara on Wed 18 Jan 2017, 2:40 pm

Hey Ron
Pennies make POUNDS
Lins

linlara

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyPete on Wed 18 Jan 2017, 4:23 pm

My method, and must be done in this order

Select 5 on the sense knob.
Turn on.
Hold coil Appx knee hight with the actual coil facing flat towards the ground,  slowly do a complete 360 degree circle noting which direction you get the worst EMI.
Now hold in that position and do the frequency check by pushing on the left  side handle button.
Wait until 5 beeps are heard and then the frequency check is complete.

Next,  adjust the threshold by pressing a few times on the right side handle button,  only set until 3 red lights are visible, there's a few people who think that the threshold button is a volume button because of the little speaker emblem on it,  not so,  it's threshold.

Finally I do a ground balance, bring the coil to the ground until its sitting flat,  press and hold down the Green ground balance button on the handle and pump the coil up and down until balanced.

Important: Only lift and lower the coil 1 to 3 inches up and down while pumping.
This is so the coil is seeing the ground at varying heights while balancing out the minerals,  I've found that if you leave the coil flat on the ground and don't pump it while balancing the detector doesn't get a true sensing of the grounds mineral content,  and this will force you to have to run your sensitivity at a much lower (useless) setting.
(SD, GP, GPX, SDC can all be balanced using this same method for better results)...

With the SDC and these settings/methods you will get the machine a tad chirpy,  but believe me the sensitivity and depth will be enormous compared to "dumbing it down" on sensitivity 3.

One last thing,  if your not happy with the frequency adjustment do it again and again to get the best reduction in EMI that you can,  this allows for higher sens setting.

Pete

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by linlara on Thu 19 Jan 2017, 4:34 am

G,day Pete
Thanks for the info mate.Cant wait to get out and give it a try like a 68 year old kid.

linlara

Back to top Go down

Post by Flouro on Thu 19 Jan 2017, 8:20 am

Hi Pete,

What you explained is/was the way we used to do it which is basically the stock standard way to set up a detector except over East of the border you's have a lot more EMI problems, apart from the odd thunderstorm with Sherri's 5000 there is stuff all powerlines out there

We met a couple of guys out there last season and got chatting about the SDC and they showed us a way that was different and got rid of all the chatter, it was in the ground balancing that set it up and you kept doing it till it did go quiet

I cant remember for the life of me as I wasn't using it at the time but Sherri got it working real well

As soon as I find out from Rob I will let you's know

Cheers,Ron

Flouro

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyPete on Thu 19 Jan 2017, 11:50 am

Ron, that sounds very interesting mate, can't wait to hear

Pete

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Flouro on Thu 19 Jan 2017, 4:38 pm

Hi,

Rob's away for 3wks or so, so's we'll have to wait

Ron

Flouro

Back to top Go down

Post by linlara on Sun 22 Jan 2017, 7:50 am

Hi Ron
Was looking at selling my 4000 when i got the sdc but not a lot of interest so who modded your 4000 and whats it like and how much. I'm still using my 3000 that was modded by woody a couple of times and Mick Quin the last time and would not part with it. Dynamite with a little Sadie.
Lins

linlara

Back to top Go down

Post by Flouro on Sun 22 Jan 2017, 9:02 am

Hi Lindsay,

My 4000M was done by Woody but it wasn't a full mod, what happened was I blew it up running a big coil and flicking a switch while it was trying to settle and something popped

He replaced some things in the front end and it became a lot more sensitive to small gold and in general it doesn't miss much, but in saying that the 5000 can still see some in noisy ground that mine cant see

Try using the 11" Elite coil flogg's the Sadie

Cheers,Ron

Flouro

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash100456 on Sat 04 Mar 2017, 9:50 am

G'day Flouro, Out of interest, Are you able to post up Rob's procedure on quietening the SDC2300. Thanks if you can
Cheers
Ashley
Ash100456

Back to top Go down

Post by Flouro on Tue 07 Mar 2017, 11:08 am

Hi Ashley,

havn't been right into town as yet it's 20km just to get our shopping but right into town is 1/2 hr away and due to go in on Thursday

Cheers, Ron

PS: I forgot to mention I received my QED the other day, just need some batteries

Flouro

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash100456 on Tue 07 Mar 2017, 11:16 am

Thanks Flour, Look forward to your post.
Cheers
Ashley
Ash100456

Back to top Go down

Post by Flouro on Fri 10 Mar 2017, 8:27 am

Hi All,

The saga continues, Rob didn't know about any special ground balancing method but had some information as to who I actually got the info from

Last season we were at a patch we visit often and two guys on quads showed up and they are the ones that told us this other method, one guy had a dog with him the other not but the one who didn't lost his dog last year to a bait and Rob happened to know this guy as they were from Bunbury

So the saga continues as I have his name and will try to contact him later

Cheers, Ron

Flouro

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash100456 on Tue 14 Mar 2017, 5:17 am

Thanks Flouro for your efforts thus far, It's like chasing gold, The thrill of the hunt ! I'm sure there's more than just me interested in what you turn up.

Cheers
Ashley
Ash100456

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto on Sat 18 Mar 2017, 10:14 am

i also use the same method to ground balance and tune in. i personally found holding the coil about 2 ft off the ground facing down whilst auto tuning in direction of most noise seemed to help with EMI. i dont know why holding the coil parallel to the ground worked so well when its suppose to be vertical but i was told it has to do with the ground reflected radiation as well as EMI from space. anyway give it a try and decide for yourself.

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by au-fever on Sun 19 Mar 2017, 4:33 am

Flouro wrote:Hi All,

The saga continues, Rob didn't know about any special ground balancing method but had some information as to who I actually got the info from

Last season we were at a patch we visit often and two guys on quads showed up and they are the ones that told us this other method, one guy had a dog with him the other not but the one who didn't lost his dog last year to a bait and Rob happened to know this guy as they were from Bunbury

So the saga continues as I have his name and will try to contact him later

Cheers, Ron

Hi Ron

That was me and my mate, we met you and your missus last season west of Cue, I found that doing the tune and balancing with the coil laying on the ground seems to work better than the way the book says, anyway I will put the procedure up and you can give it a go for yourselves, keep in mind you might have to go through it one or two times to get it humming

1. pre set the sensitivity knob to 2
2. switch the detector on and let it go through the start up phase
3. set the threshold to 3rd or 4th position from the right
4. re set the sensitivity knob to 5
5. Place the search coil flat on the ground and hold it steady and then press the noise cancel button, be sure to hold the detector very still and the search coil flat on the ground until its finished.
6. do a quick ground balance using the green quick track button

You can then start detecting, if the detector is still ratty then you might need to go through the procedure again, its usually better to move to another nearby spot and do it again, you may also still have to turn the sensitivity down a position or two to get it stable on a bad emi day.

Changing the tone level can also help as well depending on your level of hearing, on start up the tone will be set by default to the high tone, you can set it to the low tone by keeping the threshold button depressed during start up.

cheers

au-fever

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Post by Ash100456 on Sun 19 Mar 2017, 6:48 am

Many thanks au-fever, Ron & martinjsto for your tips on how you quieten the SDC2300, Going to be trying the diff methods out when back in the goldfields. Thanks again
Cheers
Ashley
Ash100456

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox on Sun 19 Mar 2017, 7:45 am

Yeah thanks form me too....I've never heard of a high tone and a low tone...just screemin when it's in a bad mood Rolling Eyes

Anyway Sandra sent it back to the Prospectors Pick to have the audio plug sorted out. They sent it on to Minelab and I have to say we are delighted with the result. They replaced all the stuffed bits down the bottom by the coil. It has all new bits on the swivel and hinge where I had repaired it several times with araldite, metalic cement and inserted a bush made from a yoghurt container. I'd got rid of the floopy coil but it didn't swivel any more.

All fixed and we didn't ask for it flower

Back to top Go down

Post by Nanjim on Sun 19 Mar 2017, 8:40 am

A big thank you to all from us as well
for posting these little tricks to try and quieten the SDC.....
Will give them a try when next out wide.....

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

Nanjim

Back to top Go down

Post by Flouro on Sun 19 Mar 2017, 9:38 am

Hi Aufever,

Your a life saver, I tried looking up Franks phone number but there is a lot of Frank W's out there

This method of yours certainly worked at the time, we have been trying to sell the SDC ever since and cant get any takers except for the lowball offers

So many thanks for posting your private method to quieten the SDC down I think many people will be very grateful for your efforts

We should be out there again this season as we will be trying the QED on some of those patches

Cheers, Ron Sherri and Yoda

PS: great to finally meet you

Flouro

Back to top Go down

Post by linlara on Sun 19 Mar 2017, 2:35 pm

Hi All
Thanks to all concerned also.We will be heading over this week so hope to catch up with you Ron and Sherri. Cheers Lindsay and Laraine
cheers

linlara

Back to top Go down

Post by au-fever on Mon 20 Mar 2017, 2:08 am

Flouro wrote:Hi Aufever,

Your a life saver, I tried looking up Franks phone number but there is a lot of Frank W's out there

This method of yours certainly worked at the time, we have been trying to sell the SDC ever since and cant get any takers except for the lowball offers

So many thanks for posting your private method to quieten the SDC down I think many people will be very grateful for your efforts

We should be out there again this season as we will be trying the QED on some of those patches

Cheers, Ron Sherri and Yoda

PS: great to finally meet you

Hi Ron

Don't know who Frank is?, the sdc is really a purpose type detector rather than an all rounder and a good machine to carry in combination with a gpx, despite its deficiencies it will get gold if the gold is there you can bet on it, once you become proficient with it like a mate who pretty much used it all the time in favour of his 5000, and he was a newbie, collected over 7ozs with it over two seasons, hundreds and hundreds of pieces.

I like it for patch hunting as well as it will sniff out bits that you can easily miss with anything else, the small coil forces you to slow down and pay more attention, but its definitely a machine that has to be learnt and when you use it you have to use it differently to the way you would use your Gpx, I think this is why some people are less keen on sdc than I am because I guess they may have just expected it to be the same as the Gpx, its a learning curve and when you go from one machine like the gpx to the sdc you have to adopt a different way of using it to get the best out of it.

I would be interested to hear how you get on with the QED as well, but if you don't have to sell the sdc it might be worth hanging on to it, like most of us you would know places that gave up lots of small nuggets that would be ideal for the sdc.

au-fever

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Post by Flouro on Mon 20 Mar 2017, 9:15 am

Hi Au-fever,

I don't know Frank either, I mentioned that one of the guys that we met had lost his dog and Rob from PP in Bunbury said Frank had lost one so I put two and fifty together and came up with the idea that Frank was the other guy with you, but we got there eventually

The main reason is as you say the SDC has to be used differently, its much much slower than a GPX but for cleaning up a patch or finding a patch within an old patch it is deadly if its there, no doubt about it

From what they are saying the QED will do everything the SDC will do and more with the addition of being able to use more than one coil, we will give it a go this season and report back

Cheers ,Ron Sherri and Yoda

Flouro

Back to top Go down

Post by linlara on Sat 22 Apr 2017, 4:24 pm

Hi all
We have been over for a week now with the sdc on a salt lake we have previously found reasonable amounts of small gold .BUT i cannot stop the machine sounding like a donkey on each swing HEE HAW HEE HAW no matter how slow and low i go and trying all set ups as in previous posts .Were any of these set ups done on salt lakes. Fluoro will contact you and sherri when i get the animals out of my ears.
Lindsay and Laraine
jhgigfif

linlara

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum