Comms problem

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Comms problem

Post by coulda on Mon 17 Oct 2016, 10:23 am

Firstly thanks for letting me join the forum We have a 40e on a bit of ground south of Yalgoo The phone coverage is a bit hit or miss Ive got a black hawk antenna on the Landcruiser but only works if you drive up a hill top We are thinking of a Yagi Does any body have any thoughts on what size or db we need We are aprox 50-60 ks away from a telstra tower We have telstra blue tick phones thanks Trevor

coulda


Back to top Go down

Re: Comms problem

Post by Viper on Tue 18 Oct 2016, 9:12 am

I have been told that these work

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-2016-LCD-display-3G-CDMA-850Mhz-phone-signal-booster-repeater-with-YAGI-kit-/162031767223?hash=item25b9d88eb7:g:bg4AAOSwbwlXB1ak

But they are highly illegal as they drain the signal from the telstra tower

A hefty fine apparently if you are caught.

But with the amount of staff telstra has left in OZ it will take some time for them to send a technition from the phillipines to track you.

And I didnt tell you about it
avatar
Viper


Back to top Go down

Comms problem

Post by coulda on Tue 18 Oct 2016, 10:05 am

Thanks Viper I Will have a look at it

coulda


Back to top Go down

Re: Comms problem

Post by Topcat on Thu 20 Oct 2016, 6:31 am

You would be better off buying one of these:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/201127362566?lpid=107&chn=ps

I use a 20db yagi antenna & at times can get good phone reception at 150 plus km from a repeater.

Cheers

Ted

_________________
Cheers

Ted

HAVE WHEELS WILL TRAVEL
avatar
Topcat


Back to top Go down

Re: Comms problem

Post by IsmaelJ on Thu 20 Oct 2016, 11:19 am

Viper wrote:I have been told that these work

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-2016-LCD-display-3G-CDMA-850Mhz-phone-signal-booster-repeater-with-YAGI-kit-/162031767223?hash=item25b9d88eb7:g:bg4AAOSwbwlXB1ak

But they are highly illegal as they drain the signal from the telstra tower

A hefty fine apparently if you are caught.

But with the amount of staff telstra has left in OZ it will take some time for them to send a technition from the phillipines to track you.

And I didnt tell you about it

This is not our Telstra system, telstra is WCDMA and operates on anyone of 3 frequencies when in the bush... 850, 900 and 2100 all WCDMA...

_________________
Regards Ismael
MinelabMods l;wfh
avatar
IsmaelJ


Back to top Go down

Re: Comms problem

Post by Nightjar on Thu 20 Oct 2016, 2:06 pm

IsmaelJ wrote:
Viper wrote:I have been told that these work

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-2016-LCD-display-3G-CDMA-850Mhz-phone-signal-booster-repeater-with-YAGI-kit-/162031767223?hash=item25b9d88eb7:g:bg4AAOSwbwlXB1ak

But they are highly illegal as they drain the signal from the telstra tower

A hefty fine apparently if you are caught.

But with the amount of staff telstra has left in OZ it will take some time for them to send a technition from the phillipines to track you.

And I didnt tell you about it

This is not our Telstra system, telstra is WCDMA and operates on anyone of 3 frequencies when in the bush... 850, 900 and 2100 all WCDMA...

Ismael's explanation of WCDMA is described here in detail, Telstra's CDMA was phased out in Australia a few years back.

https://www.telcoantennas.com.au/site/guide-to-mobile-networks




_________________
Good luck & safe travels
Peter

 
     
"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."

Nightjar


Back to top Go down

comms problem

Post by coulda on Fri 28 Oct 2016, 7:56 pm

Thanks Ted IsmaelJ and Peter Just got home from the bush been there a week picked up a sub gramer with the 2300 the ATXers nill I will certainly check out the yagy you recommend Ted Thankyou

coulda


Back to top Go down

Re: Comms problem

Post by IsmaelJ on Fri 28 Oct 2016, 10:12 pm

coulda wrote:Thanks Ted IsmaelJ and Peter Just got home from the bush been there a week picked up a sub gramer with the 2300 the ATXers nill I will certainly check out the yagy you recommend Ted Thankyou

Actually, I may have been mistaken about the booster, I did a bit of research and the frequency it covers is correct and also does the UTMS. I followed this up mainly because when I am in the bush I use my old Motorola Defy+ as it still outperforms any others I have seen by at least a couple of bars. Anyway I wanted to use another phone that may not have an antenna port, so I looked into the Telstra Smart Antenna which is really a booster system used with an external antenna and an indoor antenna for broadcasting the signal around the house.

In doing this I saw other brands all up around the $1000 mark, the $50 ones from China have exactly the same specs and the only difference, but you can still get from China, is that the local ones sometimes do multiple frequencies such as 850 and 2100Mhz. I am going to get one and use my own external antenna just to try so I can use say an Samsung S7 or the like. I do have an S4 that has an antenna port but is useless, my mate who came with me on my last trip had an S5 and when in a serviceable area had one bar compared to my 3 without the antenna, I have since also looked into this on the samsung phones and all seem to have a port either covered by a door or sticker but the port is sub micro and the patch lead very expensive (Cheapest is $129!!!) also they mention that because it is a micro port you have to hold the patch lead in with your hand otherwise it will disconnect. Also with say the S7 etc that do not have replaceable batteries and as such no easily removed back panel make it hard to access the port, so with this in mind the booster seems a viable alternative. The must have with these systems is also the phone should be blue tick. My S4 is not blue tick and as mentioned even when I have say 3 - 4 bars with the antenna on my Motorola the Samsung S4 has no service at all!

I will get one setup soon and try to see if my theory works if so we will have a cheap alternative for those that can't plug an antenna into the phone.

For those that want to make there own antenna use this Yagi Calculator program it is simple and creates very good antenna.
Attachments
yagisetup.zip Yagi CalculatorYou don't have permission to download attachments.(671 Kb) Downloaded 16 times

_________________
Regards Ismael
MinelabMods l;wfh
avatar
IsmaelJ


Back to top Go down

Re: Comms problem

Post by Nightjar on Sat 29 Oct 2016, 5:45 am

Adding to Ismael's post, here are simple instructions for home build Yagi, and it works.








_________________
Good luck & safe travels
Peter

 
     
"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."

Nightjar


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum