Ironstone Quartz Outcrop help needed

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ironstone Quartz Outcrop help needed

Post by tonystef on Mon 01 Aug 2016, 3:59 pm

I was in the WA goldfields recently. Came across an ironstone/quartz outcrop on a hill that set off my 5000. Broke of a sample and the rock structure was predominately ironstone with some quartz imbedded. Put my detector over it and got no response however I was still getting response from the material in the ground.
Hoping someone has come across this and can explain.
Is it possible there is gold within this structure or am I getting noise from the high concentration of ironstone.
I have an image of this sample if it helps.

tonystef

Back to top Go down

Re: Ironstone Quartz Outcrop help needed

Post by Biggest Kev on Mon 01 Aug 2016, 7:00 pm

Hi Tony,
mate keep breaking bits off and test with detector until you get a bit with a signal then break it up and look for the yellow stuff. It might be mineralised rock or iron ore keep investigating until your sure.

Cheers Kev

Biggest Kev

Back to top Go down

Post by tonystef on Mon 01 Aug 2016, 8:48 pm

Thanks for the reply Kev. I have attached a few pics. One shows the outcrop with the piece I broke off. The other is a closeup of the ironstone encased quartz. I must say it took a few hours of hammering to break of this bit so would like to be reassured it is gold I am detecting before I go ahead trying to break more of. This stuff is bloody hard and hard to chisel.

tonystef

Back to top Go down

Post by tonystef on Mon 01 Aug 2016, 8:50 pm

I am having problems posting pics .... help please

tonystef

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Simmo on Mon 01 Aug 2016, 9:13 pm

I know what you are talking about Tony, I clicked browse and did the normal routine but nothing seems to happen.

Young Simmo

Back to top Go down

Ironstone& Quartz outcrop

Post by wdgreg on Tue 02 Aug 2016, 5:03 am

Hi , i have had a very similar experience and dolly potted the sample and panned it off very carefully. It was riddled with fine gold ,mustard if you like. The sheer volume of fine gold with the host rock ironstone in my case was enough to set off the 5000 even with a DD coil. Try to put on a DD coil and see if the response is still there.To retrieve the gold is an other matter. Some additional base metals are also present in reefs that can be assoc with gold-: IE platinum.
Hope this helps.

Greg

wdgreg

Back to top Go down

Post by AussieAU on Tue 02 Aug 2016, 7:24 am

wdgreg wrote:Some additional base metals are also present in reefs that can be assoc with gold-: IE platinum.

Greg

I like your idea of base metals. "IE platinum" Laughing could also be Nickel that is in the ironstone/quarts outcrop

---------------
Wouldn't it be nice!

AussieAU

Back to top Go down

Post by tonystef on Tue 02 Aug 2016, 7:35 pm

Hi Greg
Thanks for your advice. Will retest it with DD when next there.
Just to add, the outcrop runs down the side of a hill and appears to go from just appearing at surface at the top of the outcrop and drops of deeper with its surface disappearing under the ground. The signal gets louder as I go downhill.
I am now attempting to get a dolly to check the sample I brought back for any signs of gold as I could not visually see any on the surface of the sample. Will let you guys know results.
What other things can I do to evaluate this. Hopefully will be able to go back to this sight within a month.

tonystef

Back to top Go down

Post by albo on Tue 02 Aug 2016, 9:05 pm

Hi tonystef , just wondering if when you keep the coil close & swing slowly over it & you get a wide signal , then raise it 2,3 inches & do the same does it go away? Also is it banded iron or pisolite iron , that rice bubbles stuck together stuff , nodules. Can be extremely noisy, i got caught with it near peak hill close to the old manganese mine , it was yelling in various places tho .Any species or nuggets in the vicinity also found. Rock chip , dolly pan , could save you thankless effort i spose.

albo

Back to top Go down

Post by wdgreg on Wed 03 Aug 2016, 5:55 am

Hi Tony,
Burned ironstone formation can give off a broad wide signal and also a signal very similar to gold. The run from the top, does it follow north south?
All Geo's carry a pocket loupe,up to 100x,this is invaluable in the field when you come upond a puzzle like you have.Fine gold embedded in very hot burnt ironstone with no quartz assoc is where i would sample first.Check with the loupe for metal and don't forget pyrites always floats away in the pan.
Cheers
Greg

wdgreg

Back to top Go down

Post by tonystef on Wed 03 Aug 2016, 7:34 pm

Hi Albo
Thanks for your info. I am sorry to say I did not give it the swing test at a higher distance above the surface. Could you please tell me what is the significance of doing that.
Yes I can confirm it is not BIF as it is not banded in any way. None of the area has BIF but your typical nobly ironstone. This sample however looks very distorted and really burnt.
The other thing which rings a bell with what you stated is that I was getting a good signal in some parts and no signal in other parts of this structure.

Thanks again Greg for more info. I think you have hit the nail on the head with your comment about burned ironstone. I don't have a loupe but will do some research on it. I have rechecked the sample with a magnifying glass and can confirm there is iron pyrites present. I discarded this yellowish stuff on some of the surface as being dirt but after a wash and more investigation can confirm it is fools gold. I broke off some of these pyrite fine granules and gave them the hit test, they just disintegrated to dust.

I wish I could show you an image of this sample to look at. Could someone please give me instructions on how to post a pic as I tried the other day and could not get it to work.

tonystef

Back to top Go down

Post by albo on Wed 03 Aug 2016, 9:24 pm

Tonystef , with the coil close & a wide sweep is made & the sound is quite reasonable it indicates if it is metal ,the target would be largish & deep, raising the coil 2 or so inches on such a metalic target would not have a great difference If it is metal. Ground noise drops dramatically when the coil is raised a little

albo

Back to top Go down

Post by tonystef on Thu 04 Aug 2016, 3:22 pm

Hopefully this works

Photo of outcrop with sample removed
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Closeup of sample
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

tonystef

Back to top Go down

Post by wdgreg on Thu 04 Aug 2016, 3:55 pm

Hi Tony,
That is very Hot looking ground mate.Hot i mean boiled up ironstone assoc quartz.Things look good here for you,,,,the quartz appears to be a small reef with,
the right colour both ground and rock in pics.The closeup is common with a flow millons of years ago.Is there any other outcrops of different rock formations-: Glena, greenstone or Dolerite?
I tend to agree with Albo about the coil technique for ground noise .
I would also take a sample of the soil just near where that little gully looks like it is forming.
Hope you can get back there to try out some of the info from the members
Cheers
Greg

wdgreg

Back to top Go down

Post by tonystef on Thu 04 Aug 2016, 4:11 pm

Albo thanks for that info. According to my wife who was on the job helping me, she believes I was still getting strong wide signals with the coil an inch or more above the surface. And Greg, as for the direction of this outcrop I believe it was running east west but can't be certain as I did not take a bearing.
We did take a soil sample in the crevice nearby and hopefully will pan this weekend.
I am still uncertain what I have here but would like members to post what percentage chance they think I may have a good gold target.

tonystef

Back to top Go down

Post by wdgreg on Thu 04 Aug 2016, 5:00 pm

Hi Tony,
What size coil did you have on the 5000?
I reckon with that hot black looking sample just plain hot ironstone will set off the 5000 as a signal,but it will be broad and wide not like gold soft and short.

Greg

wdgreg

Back to top Go down

Post by Selfy on Thu 04 Aug 2016, 6:59 pm

what time did you take the photo, that will help with the orientation of the outcrop

Selfy

Back to top Go down

Post by tonystef on Thu 04 Aug 2016, 7:37 pm

I will try and answer all questions.
Firstly I took the photo of the outcrop at about 11am.
Other rock types in the near vicinity included granite with a green tinge. There was heaps of brown coloured shale/schist sticking out of the ground at 90 degrees to the surface.
I was using the standard commander 11" coil. The response was broad and loud.

tonystef

Back to top Go down

Post by albo on Fri 12 Aug 2016, 10:37 am

Going on the pics , i would have a close look with the ol geo eyeglass , then dolly & pan for colours, no sign of yella & you are still interested , spend some bucks & send it to the lab , we did it once with a grey speci that was going off , it was egg size & 3 gm platinum nulligine way

albo

Back to top Go down

Post by tonystef on Tue 23 Aug 2016, 9:33 pm

Finally got around dollying that sample and would like to report that there unfortunately is no gold.
Besides there being a lot of iron there appeared to be some traces of copper.
I will be heading out to goldfields next week and if in that area will do some further metal detector tests as were indicated by forum members.
I would like to thank all forum participants who were kind enough to offer their expertise.

tonystef

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum