My big let down

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My big let down

Post by Young Simmo on Sun 24 Jul 2016, 9:54 pm

Having been a resident of Cue for a total of 10 years I had a fairly good idea of the locality. Around about the middle of that spell I was detecting one day down at Day Dawn. If you drive down from Cue and do a right then left and go on to the first fence line you are close to where I was. I'm talking about 1995-6 so testing the memory box. Anyway I got a really good signal and started digging. The signal stayed there so I kept digging probably for half an hour in that rock hard ground and was down about 2 to 2 1/2 feet. The signal was still there, and I had had enough so I backfilled the hole and put a couple of Coke cans in as I filled it. I had a plan. My mate Butch was due up from Perth in 2 or 3 weeks, and he had a little Jack Hammer and I had a genset. The ground was rock hard for my feeble little pick I carried on my belt. Anyway Butch eventually turned up and we set off on the Mission Of A Lifetime. After about 15 minutes of excavations we could see what was causing all my excitement. Wait for it, I had tooooooo. It was a piece of about 4 inch by 4 inch RSJ steel beam about 3 foot down, we could see a few inches of it and it could have been many feet long. I suffered a month of anguish for that, but that's life and the gold miner of 100 years ago will never know.
True Story.
Young Simmo

Back to top Go down

Re: My big let down

Post by CrazyPete on Mon 25 Jul 2016, 9:04 am

Gday Simmo

Similar story, dug down 3ft for a bloody beer can in an old Bungarra hole Razz Razz

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by purple-dragon on Mon 25 Jul 2016, 4:18 pm

About 100 metres from what must have been close to your spot simmo i dug a little iron kettle out of two and a half feet of sand in the creek bed-still got the kettle -kept it as reminder not to count my chickens-Dragon
purple-dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Young Simmo on Mon 25 Jul 2016, 10:45 pm

Yeh Purple-Dragon, even those disappointments don't really upset me, as I find Metal Detecting is a source of entertainment as much as a source of income. I got my first detector about the same time as Allan Bond found his big thing up at the Rabbit Patch at Leonora on that road East which was just north of Leonora. We were to scared to go on his side of the road, and after 2 trips of 2 weeks each, I finally found my first piece opposite his project, It was a 3.2 gram monster. I was HOOKED.
Young Simmo

Back to top Go down

Post by larry303 on Tue 26 Jul 2016, 11:58 am

G'day Young Simmo, Good story...would you be the Young Simmo from the Grey Nomads Forum...?..I'm Goldfinger...
I had similar experience at Heathcote in the One Eye....in an area where deep very large many Oz nuggets were found in the 1860's I got a signal from within the base of a very very old large tree root....dug all round but it was coming from within the root base....went back several days later with large axe, heavy crow bar and set to work...after 2 hours and 2 feet down I dug out a very old Teaspoon.....some digger had dropped from having his blooooody morning tea no doubt...the spoon would have been from the late 1800's still have it...I was certain by the target signal and where it was coming from under the root base it 'had' to be a large nugget....gold detecting is a great leveller for life's disappointments.....Hoo Roo

larry303

Back to top Go down

Post by NuggieDreamer on Wed 27 Jul 2016, 3:52 am

CrazyPete wrote:Gday Simmo

Similar story, dug down 3ft for a bloody beer can in an old Bungarra hole Razz Razz

Did the same once at Meeka for an old oil filter! Now I pass on Bungarra mounds... wegr l;wfh wtf
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar on Wed 27 Jul 2016, 6:39 am

CrazyPete wrote:Did the same once at Meeka for an old oil filter! Now I pass on Bungarra mounds...  wegr l;wfh  wtf  

Yeh Pete, What's the story with buried oil filters? Is it someone doing an oil change in the middle of know where and disposing the old filter? Was out Pikes Hollow way and was moving on after finding a tiddler and got a screamer. Thought it was a retirement nug after I had dug down about a foot. lwkgh

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."

Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by IsmaelJ on Wed 27 Jul 2016, 7:14 pm

Nightjar wrote:
CrazyPete wrote:Did the same once at Meeka for an old oil filter! Now I pass on Bungarra mounds...  wegr l;wfh  wtf  

Yeh Pete, What's the story with buried oil filters? Is it someone doing an oil change in the middle of know where and disposing the old filter? Was out Pikes Hollow way and was moving on after finding a tiddler and got a screamer. Thought it was a retirement nug after I had dug down about a foot. lwkgh

In 2008 I went out along the Agnew Leonora Road about 30Km north from Leonora, anyway I dug down 2.5 feet on a very old pushed area only to find a 2ft long oil filter from the dozer that pushed the area!!! Must have done an oil change and dropped the oil and filter into the hole then bulldozed it over!!! It was a 43C day to make matters worse. I also thought I was about to retire!!! Sad Sad Sad

IsmaelJ

Back to top Go down

Post by larry303 on Wed 27 Jul 2016, 8:15 pm

Man is a creature of hope Ismael, remove hope and you remove all motivation....I'll be willing to wager that would have been Les Lowe aka 'Bilbo' that dropped that oil filter! in the hole from his beloved Dozer 'Henry'.....lmao....still got your Infinium Ismael?? ..I have believe it or not..got it in 2002 and still goes perfect on relics/beach...use the 5000 and 14" Elite and the new NF Evolution17 x 13 in the Whipstick together with 2300...great combinations...no 7000 for me!...Hoo Roo

larry303

Back to top Go down

Post by shorty on Wed 27 Jul 2016, 8:46 pm

We have just finished our worst dig, spent the last 2 weeks trying to get to a strong target signal in SOLID granite, bought a hammer drill, hired a quick cut diamond saw(driving 800 km round trip to get it and return it and borrowed a cobra petrol rock drill, what a mission, turned out to be a pocket of sulphides but couldn't walk away from it, so impressed with the 7000 after this experience though.. Luckily they were all hand held tools..
shorty

Back to top Go down

Post by IsmaelJ on Wed 27 Jul 2016, 9:20 pm

larry303 wrote:Man is a creature of hope Ismael, remove hope and you remove all motivation....I'll be willing to wager that would have been Les Lowe aka 'Bilbo' that dropped that oil filter! in the hole from his beloved Dozer 'Henry'.....lmao....still got your Infinium Ismael?? ..I have believe it or not..got it in 2002 and still goes perfect on relics/beach...use the 5000 and 14" Elite and the new NF Evolution17 x 13 in the Whipstick together with 2300...great combinations...no 7000 for me!...Hoo Roo

We always hope.... No I got rid of the infinium quite a few years back now... Never had much use for it.

IsmaelJ

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum