OFF ROAD GPS UNIT

View previous topic View next topic Go down

OFF ROAD GPS UNIT

Post by Goldiewa on Sat 28 May 2016, 11:53 am

Hi all,

Have been looking for a way to keep track of whereabouts, besides using a etrex 10, and being able to know if we are on pending or live leases. Have found this unit on eBay
7" OFF-ROAD-GPS-OziExplorer-CE-4WD-Australian-maps-topographic-4x4 , windows Ce 6.0 operating system,  and just wondered if any one is using a similar set up. Would like to hear what your thoughts are on these, and if it would be possible to load leases info onto the unit?

Goldie

Goldiewa

Back to top Go down

Re: OFF ROAD GPS UNIT

Post by martinjsto on Sat 28 May 2016, 9:28 pm

I have heard you can load individual tenement boarders on them Goldie but i wouldnt know how or if you can load the whole file of WA although they do use sim cards so you may be able to convert the tenement file to the correct format and load it as a overlay.. the other thing is that I have loaded birds eye imagery (small sat image) onto my GPS but it slowed it down so much it became unusable so i got rid of them. I use G/E and a mouse type gps that plugs into the laptop via USB and this seems to work fine and is usually very accurate.
sorry i cant help with that exact unit.
good luck

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox on Sat 28 May 2016, 10:19 pm

We use the Hema HN7 and I heard of somebody downloading the tenements into that but I have no idea how. I usually put in a few waypoints giving me the borders and keep Geomap nearby for reference.

Anyway the HN7 has just gone back to the doctor again half way through a trip. Last time (and the previous) it was the charger but this time they recon it's the battery. I couldn't even charge it from the 240v and USB. The say it's because I leave it in the sun. I said I've tried to just drive in the shade but the trees over here are not as tall as the bus scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrubby on Sun 29 May 2016, 5:51 pm

G`day Goldie,
If you go to the "Home" page and then scroll down to "Tengraph, Geology and GPS" open this and the forth post down should be "Hema Mapping" by Bignuggs, he got a heap of info onto his Hema (HN 7).
Send him a message, he`s a great bloke, i`m sure he will help. LOL QK;

Scrubby

Back to top Go down

Post by Topcat on Sun 29 May 2016, 6:42 pm

Hi Goldie,
I have been running a 7" unit running OziCE with on-board GPS for a couple of years now which works great out in the field.
I transfer Tengraph data to Google on my home PC. save as a kml file then copy to the unit which I then import to Ozi.
Battery lasts for about 2hrs continuous running but if you buy one of those battery packs used for phone
recharging & connect to the unit you can get a lot more running time .
I load my own topo maps of the area I'm interested in onto OziCE using a 16gig micro SD card to store all the Ozi Maps & data
which then is fitted into the unit via the micro SD slot.

Cheers

Ted

Ted

HAVE WHEELS WILL TRAVEL
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Topcat

Back to top Go down

Post by toad on Sun 29 May 2016, 7:52 pm

I have a $300 Asus laptop loaded with Geomaps and use a Bluetooth GPS unit.  It's a moving map and shows all the tenements, live and pending, all the Minedex info such as scraping areas, dryblowing areas, gems and semi precious stone deposits plus all the geology if that's your thing.  Really it is all you need although I also run a Hema 7.

If you haven't done the Geomaps course with Kurk Brandstater, do so as it is worth every cent.

To answer your question Goldiewa, the Ebay units will do the job but are much slower than the Hema units, and there is a lot of stuffing around to load the particular data that you want to see onto the unit.  A cheap laptop loaded with Geomaps and a USB or BT GPS dongle is the way to go.  Kurt has a program that with one click, will update all the current tenement, dead tenements, Minedex info and Abandoned mines data to the latest.

Last edited by toad on Mon 30 May 2016, 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
toad

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldiewa on Mon 30 May 2016, 4:05 pm

Is that course through the mines dept?

Goldiewa

Back to top Go down

Post by toad on Mon 30 May 2016, 6:58 pm

The course I attended, was run by Kurk who is the President of the Perth Branch of APLA. The Dept of Mines and Energy will give you "assistance" with Geomaps but honestly, Kurk was the guy on the ground using the program in its' development stage and reporting back to the guys making the application.

Email Kurk at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and find out where and when the next course is going to be held.
toad

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox on Sat 04 Jun 2016, 7:40 pm

Just got back into range and got a message from Hema that my HN7 is fixed and ready to go as soon as I pay $99. It's only new and should still be on warranty. They claim it was the charger AGAIN but I tried to charge it with the Garmin cable and the USB 240V charger so I think the battery is stuffed. Anyway they recon they updated the maps but I just paid $70 for the map update that removed my Aussie 250K maps, NOT HAPPY. I'm waiting for a response to my email sent too late Friday Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto on Sun 05 Jun 2016, 7:11 pm

your not having much luck with that HN& Phil, hope it gets sorted soon for you.

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BIG GEM on Sun 05 Jun 2016, 9:13 pm

Hi Toad,

Interested on how efficient your ASUS is whilst travelling and tracking.

Can you advise the specs of your ASUS has. Is it an I5 or I7 processor, what RAM installed, Operating system, Windows 7, 8 etc.,

Appreciate your input.

Joan

BIG GEM

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles on Mon 06 Jun 2016, 8:28 am

Hi Joan:
A couple of years ago, I bought a little ASUS Ultra notebook and installed Geomap. Everything worked well except for the screen that was an absolute PTA! It was just too reflective and washed out in normal daylight. Perhaps a matt screen might be different.

Anyway, I have since bought a second hand Panasonic CF_19 Toughbook. It is quite an old unit, but I was surprised at the features it has including built in GPS, touch screen and WiFi modem. Best of all is that I use it in normal daylight!

Col

Pebbles

Back to top Go down

Post by BIG GEM on Mon 06 Jun 2016, 8:07 pm

Hi Pebbles,, many thanks for advice, every little bit counts in assessing what one needs.

I have three laptops at home but all to big for what I want to use in the car whilst travelling, tracking and tenement info. Phil (flyrock) has given me great insight on how efficient his notebook works for this purpose, just need to spend some dollars now.

Cheers

Joan

BIG GEM

Back to top Go down

Post by toad on Wed 08 Jun 2016, 8:13 pm

Big Gem.

It is an ASUS X205TA and runs an Intel Atom Z3735F quad core at 1.33GHz. It has a 32Gb solid state drive and runs Windows 10. I have a 64Gb SD card in it to increase storage.
I use it purely for prospecting and it drives Geomaps with live tracking without any fuss at all.
I had to buy an after market 12v car adapter lead as Asus didn't make one for it although the battery life is very good....I went for the Asus because it had the best benchmarks in it's class and the brightest screen.
I use a Globalstar Bluetooth GPS unit.
For the price I couldn't be happier with it
toad

Back to top Go down

Post by BIG GEM on Wed 08 Jun 2016, 9:25 pm

Hi Toas, many thanks for taking the time to advise info. Very much appreciated. Now I can compare apples with apples.

One last question. Are you having any problems running Windows 10 with software from WA Mines Department or any other interactive software relevant to seeing tenement boundaries etc..

Thanks Joan

BIG GEM

Back to top Go down

Post by toad on Wed 08 Jun 2016, 9:35 pm

No problems. I ran it on Windows 8.1 for a month or two and then did the grade to 10. It has been seamless..... no issues at all.
toad

Back to top Go down

Post by BIG GEM on Wed 08 Jun 2016, 9:40 pm

Great and thanks, will try it out. Happy hunting out there. Joan

BIG GEM

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum