Brand new to detecting..

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Brand new to detecting..

Post by danowner on Mon 08 Feb 2016, 10:08 pm

Hey guys, Daniel here. I'm 19 years old, used to be REALLY into geology when I was in my early teens, still have and read all my geology books now and then. I've always wanted to pan for gold, and eventually prospect for gold using a metal detector. As soon as I got a job when I was younger, the first thing I bought, was a cheap $80 metal detector on eBay, had heaps of fun down at the beach with my grandad, finding cans, and headbands haha. Still have my passion for it. Unfortunately, until I get round to getting close to $1000+ I was hoping to just try pan for gold, just for a bit of fun, and if I get a bit of gold out of it, then I'd still be happy, either way. Just had a quick look online for any regulations on panning, but all I could find was the word 'Prospecting'. I had a question for the forums, weather or not I am legally allowed to go panning say in the hills of kalamunda, or anywhere else not too far out of Perth. Again, I'm purely doing this for a little hobby/ adventure into the hills etc. So yeah, this was some what of an into, but in conclusion I just wanted to know if I need license for panning for gold? Cheers.

danowner

Back to top Go down

Re: Brand new to detecting..

Post by danowner on Mon 08 Feb 2016, 10:21 pm

And if I do need a license, would it be legal to just get samples, write down their geo locations, then just pan them when I get home? And, I'd also be keen to just get the license if it's easy enough, I'd like to try get up there this weekend.

danowner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 09 Feb 2016, 3:49 am

danowner wrote:Hey guys, Daniel here. I'm 19 years old, used to be REALLY into geology when I was in my early teens, still have and read all my geology books now and then. I've always wanted to pan for gold, and eventually prospect for gold using a metal detector. As soon as I got a job when I was younger, the first thing I bought, was a cheap $80 metal detector on eBay, had heaps of fun down at the beach with my grandad, finding cans, and headbands haha. Still have my passion for it. Unfortunately, until I get round to getting close to $1000+ I was hoping to just try pan for gold, just for a bit of fun, and if I get a bit of gold out of it, then I'd still be happy, either way. Just had a quick look online for any regulations on panning, but all I could find was the word 'Prospecting'. I had a question for the forums, weather or not I am legally allowed to go panning say in the hills of kalamunda, or anywhere else not too far out of Perth. Again, I'm purely doing this for a little hobby/ adventure into the hills etc. So yeah, this was some what of an into, but in conclusion I just wanted to know if I need license for panning for gold? Cheers.

Hi Daniel

Panning for gold would be seen under the regulations as prospecting anyway, panning is a method of looking for gold and in that sense would be no different to using a metal detector or other method to search the ground, I would say that legally you would have to get yourself a "miners right", from the mines department in Perth, it was $25 for life but I believe it was going to change or might have already done so.

Also before you venture into the hills get information from the mines department as well, there are areas that you are not allowed to fossick in, such as water catchment areas and also national parks, there are hefty penalties for doing the wrong thing if you are caught so better get the correct information and do it legally, anyway you don't want to be looking over your shoulder all the time.

Even gathering rock samples could get you into trouble without a permit or miners right I reckon, have a look on the dmp website, click on the link below.

http://www.dmp.wa.gov.au/

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyPete on Tue 09 Feb 2016, 5:51 am

Gday Daniel, mate i know it is illegal to prospect in kalamunda national pk same as any other n/park.
For panning you definitely need a miners right, even turning rocks with a stick looking for any mineral is deemed as prospecting.
Once you have your miners right and pan take yourself up to lovers lane (real name) up at toodyay, it's about 5k before toodyay on ya left.
Head down lovers lane until ya cross a concrete causeway that crosses the creek, I have panned some nice fine gold there and even got a few tiny nuggets..
Do not take dirt from the roadside as that's not allowed, just sample the old mullock heaps for the best colour..
Good luck mate and keep us up to speed onya travels :)

CrazyPete
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by danowner on Tue 09 Feb 2016, 2:57 pm

Awesome! Cheers guys for the help! I gave the mining place a ring, going to go east perth to get the license. $25. Do you have coordinates for the lovers lane? Had a look on maps but nothing showed up. Will try get up there sometime this week. Sounds very interesting

danowner

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyPete on Tue 09 Feb 2016, 3:33 pm

Here ya go

/view/18683258/82][/url]

CrazyPete
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by danowner on Tue 09 Feb 2016, 4:20 pm

Awesome mate, really appreciate it. Will be visiting there for sure. Here is the Coordinates if anyone is interested, found the bridge on Google Maps, you can just literally paste that into "Destination" on google maps, and it will direct you to that exact point. Cheers for the help though guys, will for sure keep you up to date on my findings, and will be very active on this forum, time to learn the ways of prospecting.

Coordinates: -31.579857, 116.365205

danowner

Back to top Go down

Post by albo on Wed 10 Feb 2016, 6:22 pm

Yep just get in for yer chop mate. Big country , lifes short young fella ! Give it sht

albo

Back to top Go down

Post by danowner on Wed 10 Feb 2016, 7:00 pm

Just having a look guys, to locate national parks/ reserves, Firstly they're going to be listed on Google Maps right? And secondly, on google maps, where for example the Avon River National Park is, the place that I will be, is that also classed as the national park? Or is it just public property? I'll attach a screenshot of what I mean. And yeah albo, Going to go up there with my brother, got my miners right today, and gold pan. Going to get my brother to get one tomorrow too.

danowner

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto on Wed 10 Feb 2016, 8:17 pm

hi daniel and welcome to the forum, here is a screenshot of the area with pending and granted leases. all pending you can prospect in and any granted you will need a 40E permit. blue are pending green are granted. you can also see the national parks outlined in green.
good luck buddy.
Martin.

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by danowner on Wed 10 Feb 2016, 8:47 pm

Thanks Martin, just downloaded google earth pro, how did you get the tenements and the outlines of all the reserves etc.? Hate to be a pain, just would really help me out, cheers.

danowner

Back to top Go down

Post by danowner on Wed 10 Feb 2016, 9:40 pm

Just got all the tenements, having a look at my map, a few of the places that I am planning on visiting, including that Lovers Lane, is all in an area without any tenement at all, what's the deal there? Can I just go as I please, as long as it's not in a national park or reserve?

danowner

Back to top Go down

Post by Stingray on Wed 10 Feb 2016, 10:33 pm

Hi Daniel, just remember that there is private property around the Lovers lane area. It's good that you got your miners right but regardless whether it is pending or un-pegged - you still need permission from the owners to go on private property or you'll be trespassing.

Good luck!
Stingray

Stingray

Back to top Go down

Post by danowner on Thu 11 Feb 2016, 5:58 am

No worries, I have contacted the mining company that owns a part of the Lovers lane land (the creek area ), waiting for hopefully some sort of agreement from them, I have a few other sites that I'm looking at in the hills too, they're not in reserve or nation park areas, and I'm pretty sure they're not owned land, but I'll check up on that. Is there a way to download some data for Google maps to see owned land? If not I'm sure I'll find a way. Just reading over the prospectors manual, I could go on the land with signed permission from me and the owner.

danowner

Back to top Go down

Post by Stingray on Thu 11 Feb 2016, 9:07 pm

Hi Daniel, try this link. You should be able to find out about ownership and a whole lot more.

https://maps.slip.wa.gov.au/landgate/locate/

Good luck
Stingray

Stingray

Back to top Go down

Post by danowner on Thu 11 Feb 2016, 9:23 pm

Stingray wrote:Hi Daniel, try this link. You should be able to find out about ownership and a whole lot more.

Good luck
Stingray

Cheers Stingray, I am interested in going to creeks and rivers, I have checked the places I want to go, and they are just crown land, no tenements at all, rang up the DMP and I'm all clear to go, just need permission from land owner if there is one. That site you sent is a bit confusing, I understand that it can show you the census of the land, but no info on land owners. I will have to go to them personally and ask, but do they own parts of the river if they own land near it? Or do you know if I am clear to go ahead to the creek/ river/ brook to pan?

***Just scrolled through all the info when I click on a location. If the land isn't outlined, like it is on a block of land in the suburbs, does that mean it's not owned land?***

Last edited by danowner on Thu 11 Feb 2016, 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Another question)

danowner

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum