geo map assistance required

View previous topic View next topic Go down

geo map assistance required

Post by Mingo on Sat 23 Jan 2016, 12:15 pm

Hi, I have a small laptop set up for geo maps running a gps dongle for moving maps. I have used this once it was set up for me and even managed to update tenements etc. My problem is that by the time I get to use it again I cant recall the procedure and I keep losing stuff.
I now live down by Wundowie and would be keen to compensate someone who can assist me with getting it right, I'm not after any high tech solution just the basics to have moving maps and tenements updated before heading out. Keen to travel and learn.
cheers in advance
Mingo

Mingo

Back to top Go down

Re: geo map assistance required

Post by homer08 on Sat 23 Jan 2016, 3:45 pm

pm sent

homer08

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack-Tar on Sat 23 Jan 2016, 9:23 pm

I can help, I live in Oakford if you are coming this way.

Jack-Tar

Back to top Go down

Post by Mingo on Sun 24 Jan 2016, 6:47 am

Onya Homer and Jack-Tar, PM'd you back.

Mingo

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto on Sun 24 Jan 2016, 10:13 am

not too good with geo maps mingo sorry buddy, looks like the other two will get it sorted for you.
good luck
Martin

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mingo on Wed 27 Jan 2016, 7:17 am

Hi Jack-Tar, I would appreciate your assistance and keen to travel across to your neck of the woods. I have PM'd you but it does not show up in my mail box as being sent where as it does if I answer a PM. So could you PM your number to me
cheers
Mingo

Mingo

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack-Tar on Fri 29 Jan 2016, 10:19 pm

How are you getting on with it Mingo? Have you had a go at building another project?

Craig

Jack-Tar

Back to top Go down

Post by Mingo on Sat 30 Jan 2016, 9:02 am

the map still didnt move under GPS and the whole thing froze that bad on the way home I couldnt even shut it off so left it till the battery went flat and will try again some time. Do you think maybe I should just keep my passion fingers away from technology?
Actually it will be a good chance for me to play with a project, cheers again for your assistance Craig.

Mingo

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack-Tar on Sat 30 Jan 2016, 10:21 am

I didn't check how much ram your computer had when you were here but I'm thinking you may need more. It is not an expensive or difficult thing to do but will help things run a bit smoother. Also you may need to update the GPS software.

Craig

Jack-Tar

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles on Sun 31 Jan 2016, 1:06 pm

Here is a tip that I picked up at an APLA Open Day a couple of years ago and that might help with your problem. When you are moving, make sure that the visible layer, say for example the topo map, is also the active layer. As I understand it, not only the visible layer but also all other layers in the project are constantly being updated in the background and that can gobble up a lot of your PC’s resources. This might be a reason why your PC went belly up!

I may not have heard (or remembered) this correctly, so Isuggest you contact Kurk Brandstater (APLA) for a more informed explanation.

When I first started using Geomap, I set up a project containing just the Perth topo map. This way, I was able to fiddle around with the GPS connection settings and get the moving map side of things working. The Geomap ‘Help’ section explains things pretty well.

Finally, if your laptop freezes up, press and hold the start button. The machine should turn off and then you can start all over again!

Col

Pebbles

Back to top Go down

Post by peter_s on Sun 31 Jan 2016, 1:28 pm

Hi mingo to turn off comp when frozen press and hold the Alt, Ctl and delete buttons together that should bring up the task manager and then you can select the program you want to close down.

I was told when using geomaps with the GPS to untick( left side of screen in legend section)all layers except the topo map, as the computer will be working overtime to relocate all the info you have in all layers using a lot of its memory

Last edited by peter_s on Sun 31 Jan 2016, 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : attach pic)

peter_s

Back to top Go down

Post by Mingo on Tue 02 Feb 2016, 7:02 am

cheers guys. tried ctrl/alt/del and the shut off button but it was like asking the Mrs to grab me a beer. Have since cranked it up again and its running ok, even got the map moving which it hasn't for a while now, I'm wondering if its cos I got out of the GPS division (still running) and clicked onto panning ?!!
I am also running an inferior power supply lead on 12 volt which is not supplying enough charge ( hey Craig, what lead do I need?)
All input is very appreciated and while it may appear foreign I can try to understand "why is it so" by looking in that direction.
Thanks peter_s & Col and again Craig Jack-Tar

Mingo

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack-Tar on Tue 02 Feb 2016, 10:54 am

What is the make and model of your computer?

Jack-Tar

Back to top Go down

Post by Mingo on Wed 03 Feb 2016, 7:34 am

Asus T100

Mingo

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum