NEW SCAM - BEWARE

View previous topic View next topic Go down

NEW SCAM - BEWARE

Post by Bignuggs on Thu 21 Jan 2016, 2:32 pm

If you receive an email from the Australian Federal Police regarding a traffic infringement, just delete it quickly.
DON'T OPEN IT.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: NEW SCAM - BEWARE

Post by martinjsto on Thu 21 Jan 2016, 3:29 pm

cheers for this, I havnt got one Cliff but i dont open any emails from anyone i dont know or ones I dont expect to receive, just delete them. goes for the tax department also.

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs on Thu 21 Jan 2016, 6:43 pm

I called the AFP office in Perth when I got the email. Seemed a bit strange to me.
It's going around and they are getting a lot of phone calls.
They say don't open it, just delete.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gold n beer on Thu 21 Jan 2016, 7:50 pm

this shite don't stop

had them from tax office also Martin and i called them to inform them, fed ex is another cracker.
yep don't open anything your not sure off
gold n beer

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyPete on Fri 22 Jan 2016, 4:53 am

Yup jase the Mrs had the tax one last week

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steady Eddie on Fri 22 Jan 2016, 6:57 am

Thanks for the warning. Unfortunately some people get caught before reality sets in.
   Its very much like witnessing a car accident: initially we are shocked to our bone at our vulnerability, and then, as weeks pass, we slowly settle back into our old ways, and become vulnerable all over again to new attacks.
  The strengh of imprinting is proportional to the inititial impact; just like digging a hole: the deeper the dig, the longer it is remembered!

Steady Eddie pale

Steady Eddie

Back to top Go down

New Scam - Beware

Post by Ian226 on Fri 22 Jan 2016, 7:04 am

Not only emails, mother in law got a phone call stating that a warrant for her arrest was imminent if she did not log in and pay the fine. She nearly got caught had not been for the wife recognising it as a scam. You have to be on the ball all the time. Ian

Ian226

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles on Fri 22 Jan 2016, 8:15 am

My email address must be on a hit list somewhere.  Monotonously PayPal keeps asking me to upgrade my account details for one reason or another and this morning, eBay chipped in and asked for the same.

I’ve had requests from the ATO and at least two banks to upgrade account info for accounts that have never existed. About a week ago I changed my phone and Internet plan with Telstra.  Bugger me, if within a couple of days I didn’t receive two bogus emails supposedly from Telstra! Throw in the usual number of emails from so called friendly contacts and it’s a challenge just keeping on top of my inbox.

I suspect part of my problem may be that I am using the old MS Outlook Express and AFAIK it doesn’t have an up to date junk mail filter.  I think I need to look at installing a third party spam blocker.

Col

Pebbles

Back to top Go down

Post by gold n beer on Fri 22 Jan 2016, 12:30 pm

the ATO one was good, using the my gov logo's etc.
the thing that set me off was i had a tax return owing to me LOL. and needed to update my account details so they could put my return in my account
being self employed i haven't had a refund in the last 20 years, besides everything runs through my accountant then comes to me.but they are usually large bills DOH!!!
gold n beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 23 Jan 2016, 5:14 am

The same rules apply, if it sounds too good to be true "delete it" if you don't know who its from "delete it", the reason that these pond dwellers keep up with these scams is because there are lots of gullible people around who get caught up due to greed or they just haven't woken up to the fact that the world has changed for the worse, as kids we were taught to have respect for others and to give other people the benefit of the doubt, back then many deals were sealed on a handshake and most people were true to their word, but times have changed and you simply have to be suspicious of anything and everything, older people are more often targeted due to that fact alone and they are more easily seduced, in a lot of cases they tend to have more available cash than young people.

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs on Mon 25 Jan 2016, 3:15 pm

There's a new one doing the rounds. It makes it look like it's coming from Paypal.
You want to hope your computer security system is on the ball. When the email starts coming thru, it tries to auto download a Trojan Spy into your computer. And that is even before you read the email.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles on Mon 25 Jan 2016, 4:34 pm

As I mentioned in my post above, I have been receiving numerous emails from PayPal for quite a while now. I must admit that the first one threw me and I did press the link and was taken to a site that for all intents and purposes looked legitimate. However, when I got to the part about updating my credit card details, I smelled a rat and got out of there!

I now routinely delete any emails that purport to have come from PayPal.

On the face of it, many bogus emails appear to be OK. However, it is easy to be caught off guard, especially if you’ve had a couple of coldies!

Since my post above, I have installed Mozilla Thunderbird as my email client. It gets good reviews, so I’ll see how it goes on reducing the number of dodgy emails.

Col

Pebbles

Back to top Go down

Post by stalker on Fri 29 Jan 2016, 2:42 pm

My wife works for wapol . This is quite common these days .

I had a ph call from a scammer saying the previous owner still owes money on the house and if i needed to keep the house id have to pay 134 thousand or it will be a repossession . These knobs even knew who owned the house before i got it .

Just a simple your call has been recorded please send me all your bank details and a copy of the repossession details through registered mail so my lawyer can look this over .

stalker

Back to top Go down

Post by mark409 on Fri 05 Feb 2016, 10:11 am

Heres another new one ,just received in my Hotmail.

Supposedly from Microsoft Outlook team.
To ensure highest security performance, we are upgrading our servers and databases as we will shut down some dormant Outlook mail accounts due to none usage.

Follow the link below to verify that you are still an active user, failure to act within 24hrs will cause your Outlook mail access to be restricted permanently.
mark409

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum