GPX 4500

View previous topic View next topic Go down

GPX 4500

Post by forky on Sat 21 Nov 2015, 2:47 pm

Been thinking about buying a GPX 4500 may be second hand unit , I would really like some advice on what is the best coil to run on this machine.
I am really after just a good all round coil as I want this unit for a back up machine and for mates to use.
Thanks

forky

Back to top Go down

Re: GPX 4500

Post by gold n beer on Sat 21 Nov 2015, 2:59 pm

nothing but good reports with the 4500/ 14inch camo elite combo.
nf has a new range off coils that maybe worth a go going on reports.
these new coils seem to be a big leap in performance, so much so you would be wasting a lot of $ buying a 7k
gold n beer

Back to top Go down

Post by forky on Sat 21 Nov 2015, 3:21 pm

Thanks for the advice Gold n Beer , already have 7k and wife uses sdc I have only heard good things about 4500 and would be keen to have as another option

forky

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar on Sat 21 Nov 2015, 6:07 pm

forky wrote:Been thinking about buying a GPX 4500 may be second hand unit , I would really like some advice on what is the best coil to run on this machine.
I am really after just a good all round coil as I want this unit for a back up machine and for mates to use.
Thanks

Swear by the Commander 11" Mono.
Fair enough having mates but not use and abuse your expensive equipment and hand it back and say "It's broken." Been there done that!
Engel fridge lent and returned, went out next trip and it wouldn't run on 12V, 240 OK.
Asked my EX mate when we got home if was working OK when he had it. Reply, "Sorry mate forgot to tell you I left it out in the rain.
Ran it on 240V after that. jhgigfif

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."

Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by forky on Sat 21 Nov 2015, 7:02 pm

Thanks nightjar for your advice , my wife uses a sdc and i want another machine with a bit more depth as well

forky

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox on Wed 10 Feb 2016, 5:15 pm

I just received my new toy today. It's not really new but it was bought new in August 2015 when the GPX4500 was on special. It's never found gold but we'll soon fix that  Very Happy

It came with the original two coils and a Coiltec 14" Elite Mono. I'd have preferred the 11" but you don't get those choices with second hand at the right price. The guy also threw in a nice little digger that he manufactures.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It still has most of the new warranty as well as looking a bit too new but a bit of WA dust will soon sort that out Laughing  Now I guess I'll have to learn all the idiosyncrasies of the Minelab machines. dambit

Back to top Go down

Post by gold n beer on Wed 10 Feb 2016, 6:01 pm

looks like you've got yourself a good set there Phil.
that detector combined with the sdc and you won't be missing to much
good luck this season

jase
gold n beer

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto on Wed 10 Feb 2016, 8:23 pm

welcome aboard forky, and welcome to the dark side Phil, lolol. good machine the 4500 and i agree the 11 inch mono is a great coil but combined with the elite 14 inch you're on a winner. cant wait to see the tally from this season buddy.
keep safe everyone
Martin

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by forky on Sun 14 Feb 2016, 1:45 pm

Thanks Martin , I ended up buying a new 4500 and a 14 inch mono elite now just need some cooler weather.
Forky

forky

Back to top Go down

Post by mulgadansa on Sun 14 Feb 2016, 2:55 pm

Gday Forky and Moneybox and all
Congratulations on the 4500's cheers
I've been running one since they first came out and use a Little Ripper cordless system and just got a 17x13 Nuggetfinder Evolution which I can't use for a little while coz it's too bloody hot. Always get itchy detecting arm about this time of year. Just ask if you need any advice on the ML.
cheers
Brett

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox on Sun 14 Feb 2016, 10:19 pm

mulgadansa wrote:Gday Forky and Moneybox and all
Congratulations on the 4500's cheers
I've been running one since they first came out and use a Little Ripper cordless system and just got a 17x13 Nuggetfinder Evolution which I can't use for a little while coz it's too bloody hot. Always get itchy detecting arm about this time of year. Just ask if you need any advice on the ML.
cheers
Brett

Thanks Brett. My first experiences with Minelab machines have not been pleasant ones. We bought the SDC and took an instant dislike to it but it does find a lot of tiny gold. Then we got the X-Terra 705 but it just couldn't compare with the White's GMT so after a few months we unloaded it Mad

Let's hope the GPX4500 does the job. I turned it on out the back where I showed off to the new owner how smooth and quiet the ATX was. The 4500 just made an awful lot of noise due to the EMI about here. The SDC has trouble here as well but it's not as noisy as the 4500 was however it worked ok when i took it bush yesterday. It was still wobbling a lot but I believe that can be expected?

Just a quick question. If you can see my photo above, the 4500 came (secondhand) with the 15"x12" Commander Mono and the 11" Minelab GP Series. I don't know if it's a Mono or DD? Are these the standard coils?

Phil

Ps: Expect a call from the other side of the black stump when I get there lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by mulgadansa on Mon 15 Feb 2016, 7:34 am

Gday Phil
I don't  know..... But I'd think it would be DD. I seem to recall there was a package offered by ML dealers of this combo.
Couple of things for your groans:
Make Autotune your new mate, I'd press that button probably 5+ times a session.
Enhance is a wonderful thing.
Don't  try and run too high an RX (but go as high as you can and still be stable).
Slow swings.
Good luck out there.
Cheers
Brett

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox on Mon 15 Feb 2016, 11:05 am

Brett I guess I'll just have to find out when we get to where there's likely to be gold.

I used to run the ATX absolutely quiet with the threshold just a half a tick below audible. That way i could hear the tiniest signal. My first attempt with the 4500 had it with a wobble like the SDC so I turned the threshold up a bit and had a continuous but stable wobble similar to the SDC so I take it that that's ok. I'll just have to put up with continual noise and listen for slight changes to that noisy threshold.

It doesn't sound like it will ever run quietly.

Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by mulgadansa on Mon 15 Feb 2016, 2:11 pm

Phil
They will definitely run quietly, it's just a matter of getting the right settings for wherever you are. Pretty steep learning curve compared to most other detectors. Worst thing you can do is dumb the machine down too much.
Don't suppose you're going to be in the murch/east murch in may so we could catch up?
Whack that 14" camo on, they sound like the ducks nuts.
Cheers
Brett

Back to top Go down

Post by gold n beer on Mon 15 Feb 2016, 2:58 pm

Phil they will run quite as Brett say's, not as easy to use as the turn them on and run detector's.
the GPX range will give you a few headache's until you get them sussed out.
i'm a firm believer it will be a lot simpler to work out with a experienced operator with these detectors with you 1st time out with them.
you will have it running sweet within 5 minutes or go it alone and maybe take days to work it out, that's if you can tolerate it that long before it's on gumtree again.
good luck Phil
gold n beer

Back to top Go down

Post by forky on Wed 17 Feb 2016, 5:49 pm

Thanks for all the advice you guys , are any of you heading to the eastern goldfields around easter

forky

Back to top Go down

Post by Flouro on Wed 17 Feb 2016, 7:10 pm

Hi Phil,

To identify whether or not you have a Mono or DD coil is to look at the coax cable if it is a round cable then its a mono, if its got an oval coax its DD

The reason its oval shaped is that it has two sets of wires inside the coax cable, one set is for tx or transmit and the other is for the rx or receive which is smaller diameter wires, just as the tx coil is wound with normal litz wire and the receive coil is wound with a thin enamelled wire

Also if you take the plug outer casing off which is three screws and then twist and pull you will notice that the DD coil has more wires connected than would the Mono coil

Just don't forget to set the machine into DD, the choice is mono,DD and Cancel if you are going to set up for using a DD coil

Cheers Ron

Flouro

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox on Wed 17 Feb 2016, 8:58 pm

mulgadansa wrote:Phil
They will definitely run quietly, it's  just a matter of getting the right settings for wherever  you are. Pretty steep learning curve compared to most other detectors. Worst thing you can do is dumb the machine down too much.
Don't  suppose you're  going to be in the murch/east murch in may so we could catch up?
Whack that 14" camo on, they sound like the ducks nuts.
Cheers
Brett

Brett, We'd love to catch up and a bit of help with the detector will be a bonus. I just don't know how we'll go with timing.

We leave Capel on or about 16th April. We meet up with a whole tribe of family in Shark Bay between 9th to 30th May. Now saying that they are all my family and most will be travelling from Queensland by 4WD and plane. We're meeting for my young brother's 60th birthday on 19th May so we definately be in Shark Bay at that time. We might not be there the whole time because for Sandra they will be all in-laws and three weeks might be overdoing it a bit Laughing

We'll catch up with Martinjsto in Shark Bay. We may possibly head off from there with Martin and Karen to catch up with Flyrock for a swing later on.

We've booked a house sitter from 16th April until 16th July but the at this point the end date is flexible.

Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox on Wed 17 Feb 2016, 9:10 pm

gold n beer wrote:Phil they will run quite as Brett say's, not as easy to use as the turn them on and run detector's.
the GPX range will give you a few headache's until you get them sussed out.
i'm a firm believer it will be a lot simpler to work out with a experienced operator with these detectors with you 1st time out with them.
you will have it running sweet within 5 minutes or go it alone and maybe take days to work it out, that's if you can tolerate it that long before it's on gumtree again.
good luck Phil

Thanks Jase. We do plan to spend some time with Martin & Karen and perhaps Brett and then we're likely to catch up with Phil & Gail as well. I don't think I'll be short of good advice but sometimes I'm a little slow when it comes to recalling that advice if it's anymore than an hour or two later Laughing

It looks like there will be a muster in August but we're meant to be back home by then. We've never done well at the muster but the week or two after has paid well both times. It's too far off at this time for us to say if we'll be there. At this point I'm just considering what areas we're likely to need a 40e.

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox on Wed 17 Feb 2016, 9:11 pm

Flouro wrote:Hi Phil,

To identify whether or not you have a Mono or DD coil is to look at the coax cable if it is a round cable then its a mono, if its got an oval coax its DD

The reason its oval shaped is that it has two sets of wires inside the coax cable, one set is for tx or transmit and the other is for the rx or receive which is smaller diameter wires, just as the tx coil is wound with normal litz wire and the receive coil is wound with a thin enamelled wire

Also if you take the plug outer casing off which is three screws and then twist and pull you will notice that the DD coil has more wires connected than would the Mono coil

Just don't forget to set the machine into DD, the choice is mono,DD and Cancel if you are going to set up for using a DD coil

Cheers Ron

Yes DD. Thanks Ron that makes identification easy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying kiwi on Thu 18 Feb 2016, 4:49 pm

great machine the 45 with the 14 camo coil it will punch deep but can need winding in on hot ground you will be impressed with the depth.
if you start off in enhance timing and factory pre sets and go from there with a good ground balance should be pretty quiet in most ground types
JPs DVD on the 4500 has some real good info on setting up that machine aswell.
as you know the SDC pings hard on the small shallow stuff and is easy to use but the 4500 has a heap more power but she takes a lot more hours to get the most out of it and understand what all the different noises coming back at you are how to tame them or enhance them

cheers Tom

Flying kiwi

Back to top Go down

Post by toad on Fri 19 Feb 2016, 10:10 am

Good choice with the 4500 Phil and Forky but as others say, it takes a little to get your head around the settings and getting it to run quiet.

Once you get the hang of it Phil, you'll wonder why you even bothered with the Garrett.

Until the 14" Elite came out, my favourite was the NFA 12" mono but I have since found the Elite just as sensitive but will punch deeper. Learn how to use the fast track option and don't believe it when people tell you it will "track" out gold signals. Good luck with the 4500 guys.
toad

Back to top Go down

Post by mulgadansa on Tue 23 Feb 2016, 7:01 pm

Where are you at the minute Phil, we're on a bit of a junket down south. Did the Boyup country music thing and are in Dunsborough now.
Cheers
Brett

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox on Tue 23 Feb 2016, 10:13 pm

Hi Brett,

We are at home in the Capel

PM sent

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum