GT 16000

View previous topic View next topic Go down

GT 16000

Post by goldseeker58 on Thu 15 Oct 2015, 8:59 pm

Well, I decided to take the GT 16000 to the beach and try to see what it is like, to my surprise it works quite well, apart from finding a lot of junk, I did find 2 $1 coins, and surprise, surprise, 1 of the coins was around 7-8" deep, was only just audible, but it is running with a DD coil, just looking at the plug it's the same as what fits the 4500, now what I am wondering is, putting a 8x6 mono coil work on the unit, and will it improve the sensitivity and pick up tiny targets, hoping that it will be easier than the 4500 on hot days or when I am tired of having the harness, any thoughts?????
goldseeker58

Back to top Go down

Re: GT 16000

Post by Stingray on Fri 16 Oct 2015, 10:24 pm

Hi Goldseeker, I wouldn't have thought so but you never know! From memory the 1600 wasn't all that sensitive to start with. Not like the little black gold bug which was around the same era.

I got a bunch of quite large species and bits of leader on my last trip a couple of weeks ago, using the 45. They are quite big rocks but each one has only got a small 0.2 - 0.5g bit in it. I was going to smack them down a bit out bush using the detector to know which bits to keep and dolly but didn't get around to it. Back at home the 45 is useless given the EMI and I didn't really want to hand dolly each specie so last weekend I thought I'd try the old gold bug that's been hanging in the shed for what 20-25 years?. I use it down the beach sometimes and it crackles and pops but I cranked up the sensitivity to max and layed it on the ground waved the species over it and sure enough, quack quack, it picked up the gold easily - you could tell which side/where in the specie the gold was no problems. So I guess it is picking up 0.2-0.3g at 3-4 cm in ironstony species. Not loud but audible with just the built in speaker.

Shouldn't have surprised me really, they were always one great little machine and that's why I never sold it. Light weight, little eliptical coil, really sensitive and from memory I think it only cost me about $400 secondhand back then. Brings back memories - it takes two 9v batteries and believe it or not I even remember detecting my own battery.

They press up into the bottom of the machine and are held in with dodgy clip/caps. You would be detecting away and every now and again, un-beknown to you, one would drop out. But the machine would keep working. You'd get a big signal, look down, see a shiny 9v battery in the ground that looked very familiar. No probs, pick it up, stick it back in and keep going!

Stingray

Stingray

Back to top Go down

Re: GT 16000

Post by goldseeker58 on Sat 17 Oct 2015, 9:10 am

Hi Stingray, my biggest concern was more battery power to the coil, runs on 8 AA batteries, at the moment it has a 8" round DD made by Minelab which works well, pick up a plastic coated paper clip 5" down, so I was thinking that it should work with a 8x6 mono, it should increase the sensitivity
goldseeker58

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum