Bump-sensitive coil

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bump-sensitive coil

Post by Since1981 on Fri 02 Oct 2015, 6:45 pm

Another query - I use a 24" Coiltek UFO (great coil) but it is quite sensitive to bumps and knocks, giving off a signal each time. The wiring in these coils is encased in resin so there shouldn't be any change to the actual coil wiring from new. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.
Since1981

Back to top Go down

Re: Bump-sensitive coil

Post by Nightjar on Fri 02 Oct 2015, 7:48 pm

Notorious for this problem, see you are using a 4500, it is difficult to go past the original 11" Commander Mono.

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."

Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 03 Oct 2015, 7:22 am

Since1981 wrote:Another query - I use a 24" Coiltek UFO (great coil) but it is quite sensitive to bumps and knocks, giving off a signal each time. The wiring in these coils is encased in resin so there shouldn't be any change to the actual coil wiring from new. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.

Very common for these older coils to get touch sensitive, even as they are encased in resin they probably crack internally and fracture the wire windings, and as the body of the coil will flex in use or when it hits something it will sound off, or maybe the wire is damaged where it enters the top of the coil, with the detector switched on hold it up and move the coil with your hand, you will soon see where the problem is, there's no remedy really apart from replacing it with a later model coil, similar size ones are available form both coiltek and nugget finder.

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Post by Since1981 on Sat 03 Oct 2015, 9:29 am

Thanks guys, will check out the 11" mono and give the UFO a test as you described. I know there are later coils, and I do have others, but the UFO is a cracker big coil for tiny stuff and depth. Nice and light too.
Since1981

Back to top Go down

Post by boobook on Sat 03 Oct 2015, 5:29 pm

An 18" x !2" coil that I have had that identical problem from new.
Returned under warranty, the problem was faulty connections in the plug where it connects to the control box.
A bloody nightmare, brush a blade of grass and "whoo", back and forth against the thinnest twig "whoo whoo", surely a target but no. Sad
Once fixed, its turned out to be a bloody good coil. Very Happy
Mike
boobook

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox on Sun 04 Oct 2015, 6:50 am

The ATX has a real problem with this on both the DD and the little mono. They tell me there's a fix coming so hopefully somebody has worked out the cause. It does make you slow down and take more care so perhaps in a way it's a good thing.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum