voices in the dark

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

voices in the dark

Post by shafting on Tue 23 Jun 2015, 7:37 pm

I think I should come forward as there has been a bit of sculduggerie in the Bush lately Dead prospector found down shaft near coolgardie. Supposed to have ridden motorbike in shaft. Dead prospector found in shaft missing Wife??? Dog found. . I was on a camping trip to kalgoorlie leonora laverton in other words doing the rounds. We'll I've travelled many times all over Australia I'm running out of places I haven't been and have spent a considerable amount of time camping in remote places. sometimes by myself sometimes in company . This trip I was with my wife and three children. Not my wife's first outing either. we met wile traveling and both love remote places. We. Also had a pure bred English staffy and a pure bred bullterrier both aggressive to strangers in the night and highly intelligent animals. We left kalgoorlie after checking out a few of the local fields east of Kal.boulder etc, we decided to stock up and head up to leonora. So I could get serious about finding some yellow, we drove up in the hilux and had a look to see how to get to the spot where I had my 40 . We drove and drove and eventually we had found a good looking spot and set up camp I grabbed my detecter and headed for the best looking ground and started swinging , I wanted to have a good look around and carry the detecter just to see if it goes of as I'm walking scouting around making sure no one is around . Wile still being productive I call it testing the ground a bit, anyway I've checked all around and it seems we are in a nice remote area no other humans around I detected for a few hours and we had dinner no fire as it was a warm nite and I'm sitting there and I hear a voice whispering to some one else and then a hushed mumbled reply, the hair on my neck went up and I went strait over and grabbed my firearm. And said to my wife can you hear that, she replied yes she can hear it but it sounds like more than two talking. I then told my wife to put the kids in to bed as I don't need them seeing me shoot some one who trying to come into my camp in the dark possibly to Robb US and do bad things. They are standing unannounced and standing on the edge of our camp in the dark in the absolute middle of nowhere whispering what do they want I thinking.the dogs are both growling by now having picked up on my vibes and the voices I tell them to sit quiet they are smart and do as I tell them we watch the. Treeline and no one comes forward. By this stage it's midnight I'm tired and sitting there listening to four people whispering in the Bush they have moved away up on a hill and I can hear them up there I said to my wife in a loud voice I'm taking the dogs up there at 430 as soon as I can see. I sit waiting for 420 I ve got my boots on and am ready to climb the hill when I hear a car start and then gravel smashing the underside of the guards as two cars come flying out of the scrubb and of into the night, how did they get there. No track in we are verry remote and what's with the whispering? We decided to pack quickly I did not like this I think they only left because I was armed . We get the he'll out there and 200 more kms down the road we get a little bit remote tonight as I'm thinking I mite need an escape route. I think this is where I should mention wile camping for about a week around the kalgoorlie area I had heard voices before but I put it down to a drunk aboriginal out of petrol or broken down talking to himself walking down. The road as we weren't that far off the road, anyway 2 voices in different spots I'm getting a little watchful of where I camp. We set up camp and I've had a swing around some old creekbeds that look good on the edge of some workings its getting dark again and I'm getting ready for a good nights sleep I've been up all night with the wisperers and I'm knackered I'm having a can sitting in the dark ready to call it a night when I hear a voice talking I'm thinking am I insane ? darling can u hear that, yes she hears it again and I'm a little angry and worried why are we hearing people in the Bush and who are they I grabbed my firearm again and preceded to watch all night again, have you ever had the feeling your being followed well I had that feeling the night before and now it's confirmed the voices whisper all night again and Iam awake looking around dogs are growling more and more I've tied them up real close on a lead each and we are waiting for daylight. Cars drive off again early from about 1 kmh away gravel spraying I can hear it clear they are moving out thru the Bush tracks. We pack up my wife and myself are a bit weary thinking who would follow us and why .we head back to kalgoorlie and set up a camp do a quick run to town come back maybe 45 minutes. Later both the dogs are dead laying nose to tail some one has put them like this they were tied up separate , I examine! The dogs and can see no gun shots or any other wounds death of the dogs was a mystery we burried the dogs and got van site for the night and left town the next day ,has any one had any experiences that seem strange

shafting

Back to top Go down

Re: voices in the dark

Post by Viper on Tue 23 Jun 2015, 8:07 pm

Crikey..... !! Shocked    featherfoot  Embarassed
Viper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 24 Jun 2015, 3:34 am

Mate I hope you made the cops aware of what went on, and it sounds as though you got out of there just in time, I hate to say it but you have to start to wonder if there are people out there watching out for couples or for people with kids.

Many years ago now I went prospecting with my now ex wife and two kids, it was in Qld in the Pratten goldfields area, I also had my dog with me a bull terrier who was quite aggressive to strangers, and also had a pump action shotgun just in case, a short time after dark and after we had put the kids to bed, the dog stated to growl and pace about the camp, straight away I realised that something was not right and had the feeling of being watched, and I went and grabbed the shotgun.

There were no voices to be heard but the distinct cracking of twigs and rustling of leaves as something or someone moved about the perimeter of the camp, by now the dog was now really snarling which made the hair on the back of your neck stand on end, she was scared and would not leave the camp light, even with me telling her to get out after it, by this time my wife was in panic mode and getting the kids out of bed and into the car, I told her to also pack the gear and just toss it into the car as I watched.

I made sure that whatever it was knew that I was armed and ready by pumping the shotgun and calling out that I would shoot, all the time it continued to circle the camp, I walked out into the dark in the direction of the sounds and it moved away, the dog would not follow me and stayed in the light just snarling and pacing, you could feel the presence and the menace, the dog was terrified and I would have shot anything that emerged from the bush, I was still in the army at the time I was comfortable in the bush so I had no reason to be worried by random noises.

As the gear was all packed we then loaded the dog in the car as I kept watch, as soon as we were ready I got in and we got out of there, both my wife and I commented that what really made us worry was the way the dog was terrified and would not give chase, and the way that you could feel the presence of whatever it was quite unnerving, needless to say my wife refused to go bush again.

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Post by Paintar on Wed 24 Jun 2015, 6:45 am

I would be more concerned for my safety knowing there is PROPECTORS?? Out there in the bush with guns ready to use them.

It is an offence to use firearms on a pastoral lease. The Land Administration Act1997 under Offences on Crown Land, section 267 (2)(h) states “A person who, without either the permission of the Minister or reasonable excuse – discharges any firearm or other weapon on Crown land, commits an offence and is liable to penalty of $10,000 .
Taking a dog on to a pastoral lease is also restricted unless the consent of the pastoralist has been obtained. Under Common Law the pastoralist has the right to quiet enjoyment of the pastoral lease land. Dogs could have an adverse impact on the pastoralist’s business function with livestock.
Paintar

Back to top Go down

Post by Gold Diver on Wed 24 Jun 2015, 8:12 am

It's also an offense under "Common Law" to scare the Shyte outta me 2 weeks before i go bush with this campfire ghost story stuff.
I'll be taking a gun, bet you those guys on the Blair Witch Project wish they had one??
I'll let you know if the pastoralist press's charges if/when I defend my life against the wild dogs we came across last year.
GD

Gold Diver

Back to top Go down

Post by Redfin on Wed 24 Jun 2015, 8:42 am

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6 Twisted Evil
Redfin

Back to top Go down

Post by mulgadansa on Wed 24 Jun 2015, 9:05 am

Hmmm?? Is this a beat up or not?? Especially after the name of the original poster?
Paintar, it's not an offence to shoot on pastoral leases if you have the lessees permission, thousands of professional and amateur shooters do it.
Gold diver, I wouldn't be too worried mate, it's all good out bush at the minute, except for the murderous flies.
I am always armed out bush. cheers
cheers
Brett

Back to top Go down

Post by albo on Wed 24 Jun 2015, 9:40 am

Also you have to be careful yourself in regards to fire arm use, a fire arm licence is only given to cull virmin, not personal protection.... thats how it is in this country since Port Arthur tassie. Any how be carefull.
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 25 Jun 2015, 2:11 am

I was in my twenties when that happened, some thirty plus years ago, in Queensland you could buy a gun over the counter easy as, even as I was still in the army and we were still using slr's, I could have even bought an slr over the counter no worries, but $1200 was a lot on money in those days, but it was also a very different world back then, and before port Arthur and probably wolf creek as well, most people carried a gun of some sort in the bush, often in those days people carried guns for killing their own meat and not for protection, as there were no car fridges back then either.

No point getting on the high horse and carrying on about guns on leases and this and that, guns don't kill on their own you have to have some nut case behind the trigger for that, its the same with dogs, there are no bad dogs just bad dickhead owners who make the dogs the way they are.

Haven't felt the need to carry a gun in all the years I have been prospecting, but in light of the goings on in recent years it seems that it may be a good idea, just for the record why wouldn't you use a gun for protection of yourself and your family in the bush?, the reality is that people who skulk around the bush doing weird things are vermin and like wild dogs, and they are not their to share a latte and bickie with you, they want to rob, rape or kill you, you have two choices if people invade your camp you run or you fight, I know what I would be doing.

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto on Thu 25 Jun 2015, 11:00 am

to obtain a firearm licence now is not easy and genuine need must be shown so most, (not all) people today that legally have one are sound of mind and of character and wont be shooting up the place or his stock or water tanks. his refusal based on past situations is not justification and you and your family safety is prime concern. common law also gives us the right to protect our self and our family from ANY threat with equal or lesser force. in my book in the bush against armed people or a savage pack of dogs wandering in your camp you also need to be armed.
port Arthur event was used to introduce illegal laws to disarm the nation, it is our inalienable right to protect ourselves.

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by purple-dragon on Thu 25 Jun 2015, 11:29 am

I camped at Rothsay the old ghost town one night a couple of years ago ,did a bit of scratching around during the day in the gullies leading south out of the old townsite where the old timers used to camp along the creek-that night was one of the worst I have had in the W.A. bush,all night long I had a nagging sensation that I shouldn`t be there-everyone has probably had the same feeling when you stare out into the darkness from your firelight and the hair on the back of your neck stands up and you know you are intruding on something that you don`t really want to come face to face with-Dragon
purple-dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by shafting on Thu 25 Jun 2015, 3:12 pm

Brett this is not a beat up, I'm telling it as it happend .myself and my partner still get tears in our eyes when we think about our Dogs and how they where found ; we both had that feeling of being followed and to this day ,only two years later ,I still don't no what exactly was the purpose of this being done to us? Did some one want to do bad things. Was I in a good spot and being run out of the area or was it something else. Was I on a watch list for the government? Or some intelligence gathering corporation, who felt these dogs where a major problem ? Like I said I have many questions myself. The whole episode came across to me that someone wanted us to no they could keep finding us , or you would just sit quiet and watch instead of whispering, I did have a feeling my dogs where being fed wile not in camp as there appetites where not usual For a week of so before. It's alot of messing around to follow someone around the deserts and not get lost wile doing so as I was in some really remote places south west of laverton . However am planing another trip out that way verry soon.I would not be venturing out into the wilderness without being armed .did you read about the guy in the Northern territory that had his car stolen and was dumped in the desert he spent Nearly a year I think living at a dam in a steel drum or drain pipe eating frogs and desert peas. My father who is a prospector also had his car surrounded years ago in northern territory and had to show his gun to be left alone or face a long walk

Shafting

shafting

Back to top Go down

Post by travelergold on Thu 25 Jun 2015, 6:03 pm

I am not going to go into what happened to us in 2009 in wa between cue and mount magnet.
you have to be wise and very aware of where you are /camp in any gold field areas. Yes you should be safe but as has happened in the last few years, prospectors are seen as a target for some financial gain. Wether it be for gold or for your machine or whatever else you have in camp some scumbag will decide that it his right to help himself to your goods or harm individuals for some form of benefit.
Since our experience we now travel, with others so there is more than 1 car in the group.
we also have camouflaged cameras that film on movement so we have hard evidence if we are ever unfortunate to ever be put in a bad position again.
And yes the police were involved and our experience never saw any person caught but we will never forget a face or vehicle. TG

travelergold

Back to top Go down

Post by Golditch on Thu 25 Jun 2015, 8:14 pm

It's sad to say but you can't trust anyone you don't know these days, if there is some people out there that are doing what your saying is happening there has to be some sort of personll protection. If you have a good dog that doesn't eat anything unless u give it to him take him bush! If your a navi seal with combat training take your knife and if your a normal joe blog with a firearm take that. In the end of the day if you come across this its you alive or them !!

Golditch

Back to top Go down

Post by Paintar on Thu 25 Jun 2015, 8:59 pm

A good gun story

A guy walked into a crowded bar, waving his Colt  pistol and yelled,   "I have a .45 Colt with an eight shot clip and I want to know who's been screwing my wife?"

A  voices from in the dark  called out...

"Mate, you'll need more ammo!”
Paintar

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs on Sat 27 Jun 2015, 5:19 pm

Paintar wrote:A good gun story

A guy walked into a crowded bar, waving his Colt  pistol and yelled,   "I have a .45 Colt with an eight shot clip and I want to know who's been screwing my wife?"

A  voices from in the dark  called out...

"Mate, you'll need more ammo!”

That really should be in the joke section but that's the human race for ya and it happens.
Having said that, it's a sad state of affairs that now we have to take some care when camped out in the scrub. The world is full of crazies and ya just never know.
It has got to the stage now, I've been told point blank by my family, I am not allowed to go bush on my own. I can see their point but, I do take my rifle and god help anyone who tries to ambush me.
I'll face a court if some bastard tries it on with me and comes off second. we shouldn't have to put up with being hassled when we are doing something that is legal.
Had my rant.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs on Sat 27 Jun 2015, 5:35 pm

Just a suggestion, and ya's probably already do it, keep a light on in ya camp.
Years ago I used to hang a kero lamp in the camp all night. There are idiots out there who go shooting at night but if you have a light on, at least you do have some safety from a stray bullet.
And you can catch the feral cats at the same time.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wavehog on Tue 07 Jul 2015, 4:00 pm

I'm still a firm believer you should be allowed to carry firearm's ,bolt action or semi auto ,not an assault rifle with full auto ,grenade launcher and all the fruit ..My wife and I were driving back to Mt Isa once and started getting followed by a car just on dusk ,I could see there were a few people in the car ,I'd speed up ,they would speed up,I'd slow down ,they'd slow down ,,I'd pull off the road ,they'd pull off the road ,maybe they were piss heads trying to annoy me but I told Jen to get 308 jungle carbine from behind the seat of the car ,I had to put the barrel out the window so I could chamber a round and the guys suddenly remembered they had somewhere else they had to be quickly , If I hadn't had the rifle ,I often wonder what would have happened .

wavehog

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalman13 on Tue 07 Jul 2015, 5:46 pm

I work out of Kal and head to Menzies and Leo pretty much every week. Noticed in the area recently quite a few shady looking characters.....and I don't mean the older prospectors who often look rough and ready.....I mean Wolf Creek type dudes who seem as though they would kill you as soon as look at you. I'm sure they are not all lunatics but there does seem to have been quite a few Ivan Milat types around the place. The Kehlets disappearance is really disturbing.....even though it is easy to get lost in the bush, surely both of them cant have fallen down mine shafts. They looked like they were prepared and able. Such a shame. Also, was wondering, if you were in a remote area of bush, it would probably not be out of the bounds of reality that if someone was robbed and shot, the chances of someone being caught would be very slim. Have heard many stories of the type above for it all to be coincidence. There is no way I would go out bush and camp now without several mates and a firearm. Maybe I am getting paranoid, but aint taking any chances.

Kalman13

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar on Wed 08 Jul 2015, 8:09 am

shafting wrote:myself and my partner still get tears in our eyes when we think about our Dogs and how they where found
Shafting
Why did you leave your dogs behind????
Sad fact is some low lifes tie their unwanted dog up out in the bush and leave it to suffer a long lingering death. (Have found two dog skeletons with chain collar, lead tied to a tree) It appears someone found your dogs in the same situation and ended their lives humanely.

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."

Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by fencejumper on Fri 10 Jul 2015, 7:14 pm

Nightjar wrote:
shafting wrote:myself and my partner still get tears in our eyes when we think about our Dogs and how they where found
Shafting
Why did you leave your dogs behind????
Sad fact is some low lifes tie their unwanted dog up out in the bush and leave it to suffer a long lingering death. (Have found two dog skeletons with chain collar, lead tied to a tree) It appears someone found your dogs in the same situation and ended their lives humanely.

nightjar..... the way it reads to me is, there dogs were tied up in there camp, not just tied up in the bush
fencejumper

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar on Fri 10 Jul 2015, 8:08 pm

fencejumper,
And the way I wrote it was;
"Why did you leave your dogs behind???"

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."

Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox on Fri 10 Jul 2015, 10:46 pm

In that situation I wouldn't care about your legal right.

In 1973 we had a service station on the main drag through Woodridge south of Brisbane. We lived in the house connected to the back. In the early hours of the morning I was woken by a crowd of youngsters on the driveway. I took the .243 and jumped out the window and worked my way around the side of the driveway and hid behind several 44 gallon drums. There were three cars, one was at the bowser and they were trying to get fuel. A couple of guys went to the big wooden doors in the front of the service bay and started shaking them to get inside. I aimed the rifle above the heads and over the line of rooftops and let a shot off. The flash from the barrel was impressive but the sound of that thing going off in the still of the night was deafening. I reloaded and with the unmistakable sound of the bolt action I had everybody's attention. I said from my hiding spot in the dark "push the car to the side and leave". There was a little quiet chatter from a few as they quickly moved the car and made their way to the other vehicles and quietly drove away.

The following day we heard varying stories of the explosion in the night. The owners of the vehicle sheepishly returned and asked to buy fuel.

On another occasion in 1976 we camped in an old quarry out towards Roma. We had a nice campfire burning and my brother, my mother and myself were sitting back reading in the light of the gas lamp. We heard two vehicles pass and then return and stop at the road. Then they drove back and forth looking for a track in. Eventually they crashed their way through the bush. By then we had let the dog off the chain and my brother grabbed the rifle and stood out of sight in the dark. The stopped i the clearing twenty metres or so from our tent and piled out of the cars. My brother stepped out of the dark with the rifle as the dog shot forward towards them barking. The froze on the spot and after the initial surprise told us that they just wanted to join our party. It was new years eve and we didn't even know. After we all settled down we had a chat and they left.

I think if I was in the situation where somebody was threatening to invade my space but not showing the face I would take defensive action sooner than later. I don't need to know their intentions. If they aren't showing their faces they are up to no good.

Last edited by Moneybox on Fri 10 Jul 2015, 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correct date)

Back to top Go down

Post by kaethe on Fri 10 Jul 2015, 11:28 pm

So in case you seem to get followed even in Remote places, Please check if you have a GPS tracker attached to your car.
Bad guys are using this kind of technics, in case they are losing you.

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto on Sat 11 Jul 2015, 12:01 pm

i think the same way Phil, you can augue the legalities when your safe at home (or in the lockup lol) but when out bush its sound off b4 entering someone's camp or be prepared to get a nasty welcoming. I always, day or night, koo-weee then say in a friendly voice and loudly "hello in the camp, ok to come in" as I approach someone's campsite and give them time to see you coming. Ive never been not welcomed in and they all appreciate that i let them know i was close. its the old story do unto others as you would have others do unto you. IMO

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum