How to use TenGraph to plot tenements onto a paper map, Need help

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How to use TenGraph to plot tenements onto a paper map, Need help

Post by hucdj on Wed 15 Apr 2015, 8:01 am

I'm hoping somebody can help me out.
I would like to find a way of using tengraph so that I can plot and mark tenements on to paper maps so that I know that I'm not on somebody's claim, I have a Magellan explorist GPS 610 and I have bought a couple of topo maps of Laverton and Leonora.
I'm used to using a compass with a map and protractor from my army days but to my absolute confusion I found the maps are using GPS coordinates and I really don't have any idea how to read from the GPS and use them in conjunction with the map and from Tengraph.
I will be honest and say this system has blown the few brain cells I have, so any help on any of the above would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance I hope.

hucdj

Back to top Go down

Re: How to use TenGraph to plot tenements onto a paper map, Need help

Post by AussieAU on Wed 15 Apr 2015, 4:42 pm

From your Army days what type of coordinates system did you use, was it Latitude/Longitude in Degrees/Minutes/Seconds or was it Degrees/decimal minutes or just Degrees/Minutes. Or the much preferred UTM (Universal Transverse Mercator)

Tengraph has all these types, just choose the one you can understand.

Your hand held Magellan 610 GPS has all these types also, you just need to go to the section and set it to the one you can understand also.

Google Earth has the all these types as well, just go to the options and set it to the one you can understand.

Oziexplorer also has the same just set it to what you can understand.

A lot of these have to alternative type of coordinates as a secondary and with some of the above you may see both types on the screen but just look at the ones you know.

---------------
Wouldn't it be nice!

AussieAU

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyPete on Wed 15 Apr 2015, 5:47 pm

I used to do it the easy way cause im a lazy sod at times lol!

Just print off your tenements page straight from Tengraph and take them out bush with you.
On each printout just locate and circle a well or dam that is also on your paper map also, Use big paper map to get to your rough location then use the close up Tengraph printout to guide you in to your spot and for tenement reference.

I once tried to setup "OziExplorer" with moving maps, but the old peanut on me shoulders couldnt work it out. Razz

Good luck with it hucdj Wink

Pete Cool

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hucdj on Wed 15 Apr 2015, 11:40 pm

Pete what you suggested is pretty much what I was doing the fine detail was not really there for my buggered eyes to see and my other concern was the fact that I will probably be out in the bush by myself I wasn't real keen wandering on to other leases and then having to deal with the consequences if there was any.

and AussieAU we didn't have the luxury of GPS well they weren't really around in the early 90's we used bearings from the compass and converted them to grid on the map until the yanks gave us some when we deployed overseas, there wasn't many and I really didn't to use them which was probably a good thing at the time because would have got lost for sure. Very Happy

thanks Fella's for the replies and help Ill keep plodding along and have a closer look at things now which may help me move along a bit quicker.

Huck

hucdj

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum