Rewilding: should we introduce lions and Komodo dragons to Australia?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rewilding: should we introduce lions and Komodo dragons to Australia?

Post by martinjsto on Sat 04 Apr 2015, 9:22 am

gees i dont know what some people are thinking, with all the dangers out there for a prospector imagine strolling along detecting and seeing a bloody great big lion shading itself a few meters ahead of you, km from camp,

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/futuretense/rewilding/4797634

there goes the neighbourhood.

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Rewilding: should we introduce lions and Komodo dragons to Australia?

Post by Guest on Mon 06 Apr 2015, 3:24 am

In theory it all sounds very practical, but as mentioned early attempts to introduce non native species have misfired miserably particularly when you look at animals like cane toads, but remembering in the days when this was done and the knowledge of the habits of some species was limited and they were probably just ignorant of the cure possibly being worse than the disease.

It would make better sense to try to regenerate populations of native animals such as Dingo's back into the bush, as they were already part of the ecosystem and had been long before we arrived with cattle and sheep, and then we decided that the dingo had to go because it was a threat to these introduced animals that were a primary food source for us, these animals have done far more damage to our bush than the Dingo's ever did, I reckon goats are a far better option and better suited to the bush than sheep and cattle anyway but are still destructive in their own way.

Not so sure about introducing Lions to the bush though, but at least it would increase your concentration span if you thought that they were about.

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Post by red devil on Mon 06 Apr 2015, 11:23 am

What a load of waffle. We have a big enough problem with wild dogs and feral cats let alone any thing else.i shot a dog on a bore run one day it looked more like a german sheperd than any dingo these mongrels do more damage to stock than any thing else

red
red devil

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs on Mon 06 Apr 2015, 3:30 pm

I don't think I'd like to tangle with a Komodo Dragon either, apparently they can rip the shite out of ya before they eat you.
Lions ? bugger that for a joke.
Where do they get these stupid ideas.

Last edited by Bignuggs on Mon 06 Apr 2015, 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more added)

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally on Fri 10 Apr 2015, 8:53 am

Interestingly , the dingo itself is an introduced species ..Probably introduced by northern visitors 4 or 5 thousand years ago ..Genetically it is an asian breed {Thai } I think .....Keep the dangerous critters out ..Imagine detecting in the gold regions of lower Africa in the scrub ...You'd be cat food fairly quickly unless detecting in a group with armed protection ..No thanks ....scratch

Wally

Back to top Go down

Post by Rege-PA on Fri 10 Apr 2015, 10:28 am

I`ll take the wild animals over humans any day, with wild animals you know what to expect and how to deal with them, with humans your guard is always down and the consequences can be just as deadly.

Rege-PA

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum