Totally Off Topic - Easter

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Totally Off Topic - Easter

Post by Pebbles on Fri 03 Apr 2015, 7:51 pm

This came up in conversation just a couple of hours ago. Why is it called “Easter” and WTF is the Easter bunny and Easter eggs. Bunnies don’t even lay eggs!
Just something else to ponder.

Col

Pebbles

Back to top Go down

Re: Totally Off Topic - Easter

Post by martinjsto on Fri 03 Apr 2015, 9:31 pm

also why dont the USA celebrate easter, my daughter who is over there asked someone today do they know what good friday was and they never heard of it, for one of the most christian continents in the world i thought that strange.

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyPete on Sat 04 Apr 2015, 10:40 am

Easter is actually nothin to do with Christians, it was a pagan celebration and the B/bashers took over it for their own purposes.

"The modern English term Easter, cognate with modern German Ostern, developed from an Old English word that usually appears in the form Ēastrun, -on, or -an; but also as Ēastru, -o; and Ēastre or Ēostre.[nb 3] The most widely accepted theory of the origin of the term is that it is derived from the name of a goddess mentioned by the 7th to 8th-century English monk Bede, who wrote that Ēosturmōnaþ (Old English 'Month of Ēostre', translated in Bede's time as "Paschal month") was an English month, corresponding to April, which he says "was once called after a goddess of theirs named Ēostre, in whose honour feasts were celebrated in that month".[25]"

more info here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter

Pete Cool

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs on Sat 04 Apr 2015, 10:41 am

Pebbles wrote:This came up in conversation just a couple of hours ago.  Why is it called “Easter” and WTF is the Easter bunny and Easter eggs.  Bunnies don’t even lay eggs!
Just something else to ponder.

Col

According to Wikipedia and whether you believe or not, Good Friday commemorates the crucifixion of Jesus Christ but why you would celebrate someone being crucified is beyond me.
Easter Sunday celebrates his resurrection from his tomb.

As for the Easter Bunny and Eggs, that appears to be something Special  Razz  and you can read it on Wiki.

the Easter bunny appears to be a German invention

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Bunny

Eggs are a symbol of fertility or rebirth  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_egg

I reckon I'll enjoy my Easter eggs as they have a ring pull  Very Happy lweg

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top