Modded 5000

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Modded 5000

Post by Bignuggs on Sun 22 Mar 2015, 10:16 am

There has been a lot said about this man and his modifications, some good and some bad.  There are 4 clips on utube of a modded 5000.
Have a look and I'd be interested to hear ya thoughts.  

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Modded 5000

Post by Inhere on Sun 22 Mar 2015, 11:33 am

I've dug holes as deep at this goldfield with an Extreme. 3500 etc, mostly for the rusted horseshoe shaped steel wearband, off the heels
of the old timers boots, you don't need any mods to pick them up from 2' plus.

No way I would trust a GPX to get some mod and have minelab no longer repair it. The thing is all the settings are done in firmware
and minelab are the only ones who can access the firmware. As far as components go??? well i'm told there is one resister difference
between the 4500 and the 5000...the rest is firmware..
Inhere

Back to top Go down

Post by AussieAU on Sun 22 Mar 2015, 3:47 pm

That proves nothing about mods at all, you would have at least thought an external speaker so the rest of us could at leas hear the target response.

My detector will get metal scraps like that from 3 feet deep without being modded big deal.

---------------
Wouldn't it be nice!

AussieAU

Back to top Go down

Post by Metamorphic on Sun 22 Mar 2015, 7:36 pm

Thanks for a great read BN.

Proof in air testing is never quite the same as you are not dealing with ground mineralization, general detecting conditions in stormy overhangs etc etc.

I believe this guy is an intelligent electronics expert who puts his time into making an already great product better.

I have been detecting for years, look after my expensive gear and too date, have not yet ever had to worry about warranty from Minelab so i dont see these mods as a void.

Any edge we can gain over others who have covered the same ground, is what its all about i say. Thats what the 7000 brings to us.

Thanks for the info mate.

Regards

Back to top Go down

Post by Metamorphic on Sun 22 Mar 2015, 7:39 pm

As stated, I know its only air testing....but you cant deny the Wow factor.

Regards

Back to top Go down

Post by mulgadansa on Mon 23 Mar 2015, 9:36 am

Gday MM
Dunno if that was your vid but he's picking up the pick in the 1st vid and the GPX's react as the GPZ does in the 2nd.
cheers
Brett

Back to top Go down

Post by Metamorphic on Mon 23 Mar 2015, 12:21 pm

Gday Brett, Yes they are my Vids (check out my channel on YT)....at first i thought so too on the left sweeps, but check out the tone response on the right hand sweep away putting the target between them.
This is furthur confirmed by sweeping lower over target.
But if it is the pick, even better hey?

My 5000 didnt respond as well as the Z did, but yes....I shall have to post a comparison Vid to prove this.

Its only an air test which proves little anyway and was only a bit of fun for me......the Z works way better than my 5000 on deep targets represented in 'hot ground' conditions but in fairness it does not have the new mods that BN is representing in this thread.

Different settings mean different things on different targets we all know, so it was only meant to be a bit of fun while i was out and about.

Thanks mate and stay tuned  Very Happy

Metamorphic

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs on Mon 23 Mar 2015, 2:06 pm

I had a reason for putting up the vids of the 5000. I'm still tossing the coin whether I spend $10.7K and get the 7000 or take a chance and get a second hand 5000 and have it modded.
The depth of the dig in the vids seemed ok and if the 5000 mods can improve the performance, I was thinking it would save some money.
It's all coming down to money and the amount of time I can get out. It's not an easy choice and I'm not rich.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by aussie18 on Mon 23 Mar 2015, 3:37 pm

understand your predicament cliff but my question is why would you mod a 5k?, up til 6 weeks ago it was the best gold detector available.
buy a 5000 mate s/hand with a range of coils from 8inch-18inch and learn the best settings for each coil and then you got the little and big nuggets covered all for about half the cost off the zed.
that's my opinion and what I will be doing myself, simply because the zed is way to pricey for a weekend warrior like myself.
the zed is and will continue to prove itself as the best detector available ATM but it really comes down to how often you get to use it me thinking, if your a full timer go the beast[7000] or at least get to swing the thing a few months of the year.
anyhow all the best with what you choose
jase

Back to top Go down

Post by mulgadansa on Mon 23 Mar 2015, 4:17 pm

Gday Cliff
If it's any help, I too am a winter part timer and use a 4500 with one of Ismael's Little Ripper cordless units. They are a little amp/receiver and lithium polymer battery and work beautifully. It really is a cracker cordless set up and changes the ability of the 4500 I reckon.
Just on what you are thinking of doing, 5k -v- 7k. Your outlay for the modded 5k would have to be in the order of $5+k, a 7k will only cost you another 3+ oz of gold. I reckon the money would be better spent on the 7k if you can stretch that far. Different scenario if you already owned the 5k.
cheers
Brett

Back to top Go down

Post by Doofus on Mon 23 Mar 2015, 4:32 pm

If there is one detector that can drive ya insane it's this new one.  
Do ya or don't ya buy it.  Buggered if I know.
Nearly all the vid clips on Utube show it can go deep but I haven't seen one clip yet of it finding a BIG piece.  It's doing well detecting deeper and finding the small stuff but I don't want to be digging 30 holes for 30 pieces that might weigh in at 1gm in total.
I gotta be serious about this, I need to see this new 7000 digging out a big chunk and deep.  Still photo's mean nothing to me.
Stuffed if I know but some of the reports I'm receiving, says it's crapping over the 5000.
I think I need to keep tossing the coin as I had almost spent the money. I think I'll wait a bit longer and hear some more from the WA forum members who have the new machine before I make the final choice.
Doofus

Back to top Go down

Post by aussie18 on Mon 23 Mar 2015, 5:14 pm

I hear the 7000 is available for hire from a couple joints in wa, I guess ya need to grab one for a week hit your deep gold spots and judge for yourself.
but I'd say you would have to book it months in advance as any new buyers that's sitting on the fence will be doing the same thing

Back to top Go down

Post by Doofus on Mon 23 Mar 2015, 5:38 pm

aussie18 wrote:I hear the 7000 is available for hire from a couple joints in wa, I guess ya need to grab one for a week hit your deep gold spots and judge for yourself.
but I'd say you would have to book it months in advance as any new buyers that's sitting on the fence will be doing the same thing

agree with what you are saying. if you can hire one and give it a go it would help with the decision.
not sure about waiting months to hire one but guess thats how it goes.
my coin tossing must be bad, the yes buy it is winning   lol!
How many times should I toss the coin lol!
Doofus

Back to top Go down

Post by Inhere on Mon 23 Mar 2015, 5:40 pm

Bignuggs wrote:I had a reason for putting up the vids of the 5000.  I'm still tossing the coin whether I spend $10.7K and get the 7000 or take a chance and get a second hand 5000 and have it modded.
The depth of the dig in the vids seemed ok and if the 5000 mods can improve the performance, I was thinking it would save some money.
It's all coming down to money and the amount of time I can get out.  It's not an easy choice and I'm not rich.

G'day Cliff, my advice is don't even think about modding a 5000, why don't you email Ismael Jones and ask him?
I bet he will tell you not to do it.....there is a good reason for that, but let him tell you.
Inhere

Back to top Go down

Post by aussie18 on Mon 23 Mar 2015, 6:19 pm

the price is the major factor about this machine, I think it will prove to be a performer over time no doubt. so if the coin is not a problem I cannot seeing there being a problem.

Back to top Go down

Post by Metamorphic on Wed 01 Apr 2015, 3:22 pm

Thats a good and valid point Aussie.......prospecting/mining is risky business for which there are never any guarantee's.

Some will stick their neck out and take on the risk, others wont!

Cheers mate Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by homer08 on Wed 01 Apr 2015, 4:14 pm

Hi Cliff, there is rumour of a new 14" coil to suit GPX models due out sometime this month. Worth a wait and see i think from what some have said.

homer08

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum