Perth caravan and camping show

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by Ian226 on Wed 04 Mar 2015, 7:53 pm

Hi All

Thinking of attending caravan and camping show in Perth starting 18th March so I pose a question to all those who are retired as to what to look for in a caravan or camper for prospecting. I may get lucky as where I work to retire earlier than expected and with a bonus thus may look to invest in a van to entice the missus to get out bush. Regards IAN

Ian226

Back to top Go down

Re: Perth caravan and camping show

Post by toad on Wed 04 Mar 2015, 8:20 pm

Mate,  (a) The missus has to be comfortable.
(b) It has to be offroad capable, not necessarily extreme offroad, but dirt road and station track offroad.
(c) needs to be self contained to bush camp for extended time, solar, gas etc.
(d) It has to be reasonably compact.  If a van, no more than an 18 footer. 16 foot is better.
(e) 15" or16" rims with good LT tyres.  2 spares, Tandem axle preferred but not essential.
(f) The missus has to be comfortable.

I'm sure others have different ideas.
toad

Back to top Go down

Post by red devil on Wed 04 Mar 2015, 8:33 pm

Hi Ian all depends on what you wish to spend $ wise, i have a dirt road van with solar,shower,toilet,gas heater to keep wifey warm and happy.

if you wish to have a chat pm me your land line phone number

regards red
red devil

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightjar on Wed 04 Mar 2015, 8:51 pm

Ian, If you haven't already ventured out and tried camping in earlier life it is going to be a huge challenge.
Have heard of countless retirees who have burnt up a proportion of their retirement nest egg on a new 4wd & van and turned around and come home not half way through their first trip.
Worse than that, not being familiar with tugging a van they have come to grief. A couple picked up a brand new van in Henderson, hubby drove as far as Mandurah, then wifey wanted a drive, not saying she wasn't a competent driver but the vehicle and van rolled before reaching Bunbury. Both the van & brand new 4wd were write offs, fortunately both came out of it with bumps and bruises.
Cheers

"Aging seems to be the only available way to live a long life."

Nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Quogmeier on Wed 04 Mar 2015, 9:53 pm

Hi Ian,
Some good suggestions already listed by other members.
Have been looking to do the same down the track and have taken the ideas on board too.
As I haven't been roughing it for a very long time, I was going to look at hiring a van first to a 4 or 5 week trip.
Then to make sure I wasn't throwing money away was going to buy a second hand van with a similar layout to what I thought I wanted.
That way if 2 months into retirement we decide it's not us, we haven't wasted 20 or 30k of our retirement.
And take note of Toads (a) and (f), if the wife ain't happy, you won't be either.
Cheers
Norm

Quogmeier

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 05 Mar 2015, 5:11 am

Caravans are great for the comforts of home and usually preferred by the ladies but a camper trailer is easier to get in and out of some places, particularly if you are intending to do some prospecting, apart from that you can pick up something reasonably priced and that way if you find its not for you or the wife then you wont lose too much or break even unloading it.

As mentioned some people spend up big and hit the road only to find out its not for them, and you can lose some big dollars on vans as its pretty rare to get back anywhere near your initial outlay as many people can attest, hiring a van or camper trailer is probably the way to go that way you and the wife can get a taste of life on the road and if it does not work out then you have lost nothing.

It can also be beneficial to join a club or team up with others so that you can learn as you go and have company in the process, some people get a bit edgy if they are camping out on their own and find safety in numbers to their liking.

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Post by martinjsto on Thu 05 Mar 2015, 7:42 am

the only think i would like to add is the consideration of the set up and pack up time. i have found some of the caravans or camper trailers take way too long to pack up and get out of there as there will be times that its get out within the hour or stay for a week due to rain. i have a jaco pop up (the swan) and have been able to get it ready to go in 20 min, its light and easy to tow and maneuverable for the tight tracks or when forging your own, and you can get them for under $10k second hand . there are a few with the "military" suspension but take a good look as "the made in china" syndrome is predominant.
good luck

martinjsto
Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Re:caravan and camping show

Post by Ian226 on Sun 08 Mar 2015, 8:44 pm

Thanks all for your responses and to let you know that I am not rushing.

Just to let you know have been prospecting since 2000 and started of roughing it in swag only, Mono can vouch for that, after getting bitten by a large centipede one night upgraded by building my own camper trailer. Not 100% perfect but is quite reasonable. At the moment stripping down and doing up a troopy but work is getting in the road, but now the company is restructuring and having a BEP (Business efficiency program) another way of saying cost cutting which will put a few in the firing line. So just considering upgrade to a van to allow the missus and I to do a bit of travelling and after allow me some comfort out prospecting.

I will be attending to check out what is out there for consideration so once again thanks for your replies, Ian

Ian226

Back to top Go down

Re:caravan and camping show

Post by monoandnan on Sun 08 Mar 2015, 9:32 pm

G/day mate, knowing your other half I reckon you would need a basic van, with a comfy bed and a funtional kitchen, and a shower and Loo.
Knowing you I reckon you would need a Diesel heater for those cold nights, 1000wt of solar for all your gadgets, and a comfy camp chair or those evening beers. Laughing Laughing lol!

Mono and Nan cheers cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by S & J v on Mon 09 Mar 2015, 8:25 am

Hi Ian
Have a look at Explorex Caravans at the show, they're great Full off road vans. We have one and can honestly recommend them. They're a company that builds for the mining industry.

S & J v

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 09 Mar 2015, 9:05 am

I have a motorhome and tow a suzi vitara on a trailer. I realise it's not that good for bush tracks, but it's a lot easier to drive the heavy unit, and tow the car. We often see dead caravans on the road, but so far, never seen a dead motor home. Bus conversions are generally stronger than the modern styles, and handle the rougher roads better. Also cheaper to buy unless you already own a decent size 4wd.
Cheers
Russo

Back to top Go down

Post by Hopperite on Tue 10 Mar 2015, 9:59 am

Hi Ian

You don't say how much you are willing to spend or whether you will be buying at the show. You will be mighty tempted as they have some good buys. You could spend all day just looking at the vans and not see them all.

I would be considering comfort (bed, are you going to be crawling over each other to get out), water, toilet,  shower, gas, solar, inside or outside cooking. The amount of canvas, it only gets harder the older you get. A lot of people have the diesel heaters for those cold mornings and swear by them.

Don't be rushed into it.

Have a look at Australian Off Road. Expensive, but will give you an idea of what is among the best.

Regards
Rowdy

Hopperite

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian226 on Tue 10 Mar 2015, 9:39 pm

Hey Mono

I think you might have it wrong mate, I don't need those gadgets only a camp oven, a good chair, campfire with a nice cold beer to watch the clear evening skies. Now the missus would want all the gadgets especially the tv for watching the wearies and dearies. Home and away for those who don't know.

My budget is a bit open at the moment and I am not rushing as I do know it will be a investment that will have to last for a while.

Ian

Ian226

Back to top Go down

Post by BIG GEM on Thu 12 Mar 2015, 8:08 pm

Hi Ian, since retiring, we have been prospecting for some 9 years with our Trakmaster caravan in some very remote areas and to date. Our caravan has afforded us a fantastic life style, enabled us to meet some beautiful people and allowed us an opportunity to travel on and off road and find gold.  Worth every penny.  Good luck with your decision.  Big & Little Gem

BIG GEM

Back to top Go down

Post by travelergold on Fri 13 Mar 2015, 1:16 pm

Hi Ian, good to hear you are taking your time to work out what you want. Like has been said, spend quickly and regret instantly.
we camped/detected for 5 years using a nissan ute with a carry me camper on the back. Was very compact, very quick to set up and pack up, 2 minutes to pull up and be in bed or visa versa. No shower or toilet, but had solar, water and good kitchen. And shade to shelter under. Also very generous luggage area. We lived out of it from 6 mths to 18mths at a time then go home for a few mths before going out again.
we have now upgraded to an isuzu nps300 4wd truck with winnebago on the back. 2000 model. 100,000 km and cost $35,000. Very good condition. Have had to put a shower/toilet in front right corner as only had external shower and porta potti. To convert has cost us about $3000for materials, including a new suburban hot water unit. The unit is no wider than the cab so will go down tracks that landcruiser can squeeze. It also has warrier suspension and we can tell anybody that that suspension is bloody supurb. Have only traveled the tanami twice but was like driving on butimen. Rides mich nicer than well set up nissan or cruiser.
For us this is our purfect rig, and has lots of internal comforts as well. Much like a well appointed van, and you are not towing one
our two bobs worth. TG

travelergold

Back to top Go down

Post by mulgadansa on Fri 13 Mar 2015, 1:51 pm

Gday Ian
The wife and I had a little Avan with the offroad kit for a few years after we retired. Then decided to upgrade to a full size van with shower and WC. Went to the Show and found several that we liked but eventually settled on a 19.6 Jayco semi off road. Almost signed up on the spot but being the tight ar*e that I am, thought maybe I'll just sleep on it. Went home jumped on the net and found the same van brand new in Darwin for $7500 less than the show special. Long story short - drove to Darwin, bought the van and had a great trip.
Check the net after you find something you like. You can save a truckload.
And the bride is very happy with the van Very Happy so we get out bush more.
cheers
Brett

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian226 on Sun 15 Mar 2015, 3:40 pm

Great to hear all the feedback as given me plenty to consider, yes I am tight when spending the $ as being in purchasing I like to get value for my money. Ian

Ian226

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon on Thu 26 Mar 2015, 8:56 am

IAN Dont forget to join the RAC,,,,,,LOL Shocked Shocked Shocked

JEEEEZ i can smell the bread cooking already. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Cheers Jon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian226 on Thu 26 Mar 2015, 8:22 pm

G'day Jon

Great to hear you have recouped. Yep attend and after reviewing a lot of pros and cons if early retirement comes ( should know by end of April) then I will likely go for a Explorex. Bit dearer but from what I went through appear the better quality in built from my opinion.

Hopefully catch up with you in July and I think I can still make a loaf or two and bag a nugget at the same time. Ian

Ian226

Back to top Go down

Post by S & J v on Fri 27 Mar 2015, 6:57 am

Hi Ian
You've made a good choice, we love our Tanami. Greg & Jen are a lovely couple.

Regards
Sandra & James

S & J v

Back to top Go down

Post by aussie18 on Fri 27 Mar 2015, 3:32 pm

here i go get me ar*e kicked for this one I'm sure
I am good friends with Danny and Teresa at eagle campers and trailers in Midvale.
speaking to them at a party last Saturday night and they give me a run down off there operation they have had running for a couple of years.
there campers are made in china but are of decent quality, they choose the best they could find at a decent price so that they are affordable to the average Joe blow.
if anyone is interested in camper trailers at least give them a look, they are brilliant down to earth people that are not in the game off ripping people off.
Dan was telling me how selling this equipment is such a cut throat business, and how they are struggling a little simply because they are not rip of artist and trying to do the right thing by people as well as trying to break into a market that is full of dodgy mongrels.
all I ask is if in the market for camper trailers go have a look at what they have and if interested drop me name and mention to the that you seen it on this forum, you may save a few bucks if you like there product.
I did hear they had a great weekend at the caravan and camper show last weekend and sold about 8 trailers which ain't bad for a small hubby and wife deal.
he did not ask but I said I would drop a post on here, I've also been helping him out with insulation for his campers.
cheers
jase

Back to top Go down

Post by red devil on Fri 27 Mar 2015, 4:10 pm

Hi all we love our explorex ningaloo it fills the bill for us i would have to say that Greg and his team are the best we have ever dealt with if there is any problems they fix it with a smile

regards red
red devil

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum