Who's willing to have a bet

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Who's willing to have a bet

Post by Bignuggs on Tue 13 Jan 2015, 7:49 pm

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Who's willing to have a bet

Post by Flying kiwi on Tue 13 Jan 2015, 9:02 pm

Greenies have been fighting this one for a few years already.
If I was to have a punt I recon it won't go ahead with this lot, but if one of the big boys had it and were to grease a few wheels it would be a different outcome

Flying kiwi

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying kiwi on Tue 13 Jan 2015, 9:08 pm

Flying kiwi

Back to top Go down

Post by Stingray on Tue 13 Jan 2015, 9:34 pm

Well Cliff, I hope it's the environment for a change… You seem to like your music - some Joni Mitchell lyrics come to mind…  

The EPA got it right this time. This range is the last remnant of a unique part of the natural heritage we once had, one of the last little bits left, all the rest have gone overseas forever. These BIF hills are like small islands in a big ocean - you stuff them up and the plants and critters that have evolved there can't bugger off somewhere else, coz even if they had somewhere to go, they can't swim.

Just for once I hope for our children's sake that the government has the balls to stand up to the CME and the political lobbyists that slink around whispering in their ears.

Oops sorry, I don't know what came over me. I forgot that we've got a real shortage of iron ore mines in WA and we make so much out of the fantastic royalty deals we have in place - particularly with the high iron ore price at the moment and into the forseeable future. There's probably a set of free steak knives chucked in the deal too! The Scoopon bargain of the year!!

Furthermore, its been in the ground for nearly 3 billion years already - if we leave it there any longer it might rust away eh?…

Stingray

Stingray

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs on Wed 14 Jan 2015, 8:06 am

I think we need another big hole in the ground and it's only rocks.
I can't remember the last time a WA state government cared about the environment when it came money unless it was a sacred site and even then they didn't care.
Money talks and being the cynical old sod I am, the mining industry doesn't like being told NO.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail on Wed 14 Jan 2015, 8:33 pm

I remember a few years back, talking to mine manager up that way, maybe the Jack Hills area??, and he was saying that when they rehabbed any areas around the mine, they had to collect the relevant seeds for reseeding from no more than 10kms radius around the mine area. The area was so enviro sensitive and the plants were rare. These days they seem to let the ground reseed itself as planting seeds doesn't seem to be a good idea.

Do we really need another iron ore mine? At today's ore prices half of 'em are going broke.

Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by albo on Sat 31 Jan 2015, 9:23 am

forget the iron there at jack hills, the sooner it shuts the better,I know of one nugget that was specked when grinding was done at the early stages.
albo

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail on Sat 31 Jan 2015, 6:27 pm

I'm no "greenie" but I reckon Jack Hills is something a bit special. Take a look around out there & witness that singular remnant of vast banded ironstone ridge system and it'd be a real shame to blast it powder just to build another bridge in China.

Leave it, we have enough iron in the Pilbara to last till the sun goes out!

BTW - if you wanna see Banded Iron formation, drive onto the north end of The Island, south of Cue. Jet black ironstone with layers of yellow right through it. Looks like Liqcourice Allsorts, good enough to eat.

Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum