Data Scraping

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Data Scraping

Post by Bignuggs on Tue 30 Dec 2014, 12:53 pm

We got a suggestion for the next topic of discussion and I guess it comes from the last APLA newsletter.
Data Scraping: where low life trolls use what can only be described as illegal tactics to get the jump on everyone else. and I can only say, what do you expect from a gov department who is ruled by the current state government.
it's all about big business and screw the little man. it was interesting to note that DMP didn't really give a fat rats clacker that it was happening.
what was their response ? it would be monitored and those involved will get a slap on the wrist.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Data Scraping

Post by hoolahoopa on Tue 30 Dec 2014, 1:44 pm

i agree it sucks.
maybe we should all learn the technique to be on fair playing grounds.
anyone willing to share?

hoolahoopa

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs on Tue 30 Dec 2014, 2:02 pm

I'll bet my bottom dollar if I tried doing it, I'd be up before the court being fined big time for hacking.
Coz that's what the bastards are doing with Tengraph.
It's a bloody joke.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 30 Dec 2014, 2:18 pm

SEND THE MINISTER AN EMAIL and ask him what he would do?

regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs on Tue 30 Dec 2014, 2:38 pm

Not much chance of that from me, the Minister of my local church won't talk to me    lol!
He would probably say PRAY my son, now here's a sip of wine and a biscuit    

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail on Tue 30 Dec 2014, 2:46 pm

From the other thread:

Driller,

You may have read a report about "screen scraping" in the last APLA Newsletter?? In that article there's comment from Ivor Roberts, the Director of Mineral Titles in the DMP. Those comments more less say, "Oh dear, this contravenes our Terms of Service and we must do something about it"

Trust me. That is a load of crocodile tears & bollocks. I and others questioned the DMP 4 years ago about this and how leases can be dropped one day prior to expiry only to be pegged again 3/4 of an hour later, the same day. They admitted that companies were not only acting in collusion by using "one dollar holding companies" but the use of screen scraping was rife throughout the industry. But here's the clincher, from the DMP 4 years ago remember",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Quote, " We are powerless to stop it"!!

Get the picture? Nothing's been done about it for years. I doubt anything will be done this time either

I looked into the software to do this and to do the simple website scraping that's often done by retailers to check out the prices of competitors and it's quite cheap. But the software to "break into" the DMP eMITS system is exorbitantly expensive. This is because the DMP eMITS system is not your common or garden website. It "hides" behind all sorts of firewalls and other stuff and access by the likes of you & me requires a password - that's the hard bit, you have to crack the password, and that's HACKING@@!!

I costed some software out of the USA to do just this and the minimum price was about AUD 4500.00.

Last edited by Wedgetail on Tue 30 Dec 2014, 2:55 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : additions to comments)

Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Bignuggs on Tue 30 Dec 2014, 3:03 pm

Either way you look at it, it's HACKING.
Now even my old brain knows that hacking is illegal, so why won't DMP or the Government jump on it and prosecute the offenders.
Now that's a silly question, I think I've answered my own question.
It's called protecting the parties re election donations.

Forum Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by toad on Thu 01 Jan 2015, 2:04 pm

Same thing goes on in the share market and they haven't done anything about that either. Companies actually set up their offices as close to the ASX computer servers as they can just to gain microseconds of advantage in trading.
toad

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum