No Volume Control?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

No Volume Control?

Post by Moneybox on Tue 25 Nov 2014, 3:39 pm

S@#e D%^b C*#t produced a metal detector that uses sound to define every target but didn't include a volume control. You've got to be a sandwich short of a picnic to do such a thing. Nobody's hearing is the same. Some need less noise for ear protection and comfort and others need decent volume to hear what's going on.
This machine has obviously proven its performance in finding small gold but after using it for about 30 minutes in a public place we had to pack it away until we worked out how to quieten it down. After looking into it further it seems that can't be done. With two people using one machine its nice to run a machine quietly without headphones.
Unfortunately that option is not available wtf

Back to top Go down

Re: No Volume Control?

Post by Flying kiwi on Tue 25 Nov 2014, 4:09 pm

Phil

I think you are referring to your new SDC2300?
directly below the LED lights on the right hand side is a button with a speaker symbol on it, if you keep pushing it will cycle through the volume settings the LED display tells you where you are in the range

cheers Tom

Flying kiwi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 25 Nov 2014, 4:38 pm

DID U GET INSTRUCTIONS WITH YAH DETECTOR COZ I'M SURE IT TELLS YOU HOW TO SHUT IT UP IN PUBLIC

i might be wrong.

Regards
oneday

Back to top Go down

Post by NuggieDreamer on Tue 25 Nov 2014, 5:10 pm

Can ya plug in a B&Z and remote speaker like you can other detectors Tom / Ray?
NuggieDreamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Banjo on Tue 25 Nov 2014, 6:08 pm

Yes a B&Z can be used, i purchased one of Nenad's adapters, also a extension/curly cable will be needed so you can sit it down comfortably whilst digging a target.

Tom, i thought the option you mention is threshold setting only and not volume ?

Darren

Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying kiwi on Tue 25 Nov 2014, 8:02 pm

Yea right there ya go how about that What a Face

Flying kiwi

Back to top Go down

Post by Banjo on Tue 25 Nov 2014, 9:00 pm

I have to agree with Phil though, the user should have the option to set a volume for the conditions and/or their own hearing.
Not everyone likes to wear headphones.

Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying kiwi on Wed 26 Nov 2014, 11:28 am

I detect right handed and find the built in speaker to quiet in anything but still conditions, so endup wearing headphones anyway and I hate wearing them!!!
already got the adaptor plug might be time to invest in a B&Z pale

Flying kiwi

Back to top Go down

Post by Banjo on Wed 26 Nov 2014, 11:43 am

Yes Tom, also right handed and whenever i can i will just run with the built in speaker to save wearing a harness in the heat but when the wind picks up it's a right royal pain having to either stop for the gust to drop or detect in a particular direction.
For real windy days i just purchased a Frillneck hat so i can wear the headphones on the outside of the material to cut down on the sweaty ear syndrome.

Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox on Wed 26 Nov 2014, 7:28 pm

Ok so there are mods available. I guess that's an advantage of buying a popular machine but if I'm looking for something to modify or repair I buy second hand. Then you can use your savings to repair and upgrade. I bought new expecting to have a fully functional compact little machine that could always be within easy reach. Once you start adding odds and ends just to have it fully functional the small and compact goes out the window.

I ordered the Minelab harness while I was at it because there's no way Sandra can handle the SDC without extra support. I didn't realise that it took a big chunk of her suitcase space on its own. I've got to spend some time on that as well because the tubular support was not doing anything to help in the short while we tried it the other day.

The ATX with the 8" mono is a lot easier to handle than the SDC but I didn't bring the extra coils. Anyway that would defeat the purpose. I want her to keep busy finding lots of little bits then there's no time to get bored and wander off picking up a couple of hundred kilos of pretty rocks. I've already got more bags of coloured volcanic sand and lava than a jumbo can handle.

Back to top Go down

Post by Banjo on Wed 26 Nov 2014, 7:42 pm

Phil, i read up about the pro swing because i am in a similar position and need to set something up for my partner, i read some feedback on another forum that may help your current situation, the J-strut needs to be higher than shoulder height, i wont waffle on but read here because there is other tips on setting it up right

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Darren

Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox on Wed 26 Nov 2014, 8:17 pm

Banjo wrote:Phil, i read up about the pro swing because i am in a similar position and need to set something up for my partner, i read some feedback on another forum that may help your current situation, the J-strut needs to be higher than shoulder height, i wont waffle on but read here because there is other tips on setting it up right

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Darren
Thanks Darren that should save me a lot of time and effort sorting it out. I couldn't do much the other day because I was struggling with trying to strangle the detector while quite a few previously peaceful beach goers watched on.
This place has no gold. At least nothing that hasn't been processed in some way. We're on the island of Maui at present. We drove around half of it yesterday and the other half today. Most of it has rugged rocks and cliffs but there are a few very nice little beaches. The problem is you can't just say I'll pop down while nobody's around. Its always busy. I think they must just take turns but I would really like to take a look at what they're leaving behind. I'm just no that fussed on walking between them swinging a detector that drowns out the sound of the surf.
Oh, and the wally's drive on the wrong side of the road  QK;

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 25 Dec 2014, 3:57 am

I was surprised myself that the sdc has no volume control, only being able to alter the threshold level, like before mentioned we dont all have the same level of hearing.

Also with the speaker on the other side, being right handed,its only good in some situations but would be hard for me to hear if its a bit windy, put the headphones on and the volume is even less than the external speaker, very poor.

Ok my solution was, I bought one on nenads extension cables, plugged it in and anchored the female end with cable ties just beneath the armreat, so that it faces out the back, also have a box cover so when its fitted it protects the cable.

Went to Jaycar and bought a curley cord with stereo plugs, one female end and one male end, the male end goes into the end of the anchored female socket on the extension cable, the other end I anchored with a removeable tie to the harness, just at the point where the strap attaches to the battery pouch.

If you want to seperate yourself from the detector just unplug the curley cable from the anchored extension cable point, also as the original type adapter is still plugged in to the box the detector remains silent as the speaker does not work.

I fitted my B Z booster to the left shoulder strap of the harness, just above the bungy ring,if you mount it witht the back facing out you can use cable ties to anchor it to the strap, and you can also easily access the battery compartment, this gives you the on/off volume control switch facing inwards where you can see it and the headphone socket jack on the outside.

With the booster fitted you just run the cable along the left harness shoulder strap, over the back and down to towards the battery pouch where you plug it in to the anchored female end of the jaycar curley cable.

What you can do then is either attach your external speaker to the right shoulder strap of the harness and run the wire around to the booster, or just plug headphones in to it with the wire just running down your back.

I use lightweight behind the neck headphones that work well with the B Z booster, and my external speaker has velco glued on the back and velcro sewn to the right shoulder strap anchors it in place when I might want to use it.

The best thing is you now have volume control and bypass if you want it quieter while digging, and you can have a speaker where you can hear it, or even mount twin speakers as I can do also.

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Post by Banjo on Thu 25 Dec 2014, 8:20 am

Hi AU, i have a similar set up to your's but with it being hot at the moment i try and eliminate having stuff on my back, catch 22 though because then i am back to the in built speaker but as soon as any breeze kicks up i have to stop momentarily or change direction, not ideal, so i have been using the headphones when i have too.
Out of interest what brand/model headphones are you using ? I saw somewhere someone recommending the Sennheiser 685's, i think they were about $100 from memory.

Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 25 Dec 2014, 10:49 am

Hi Banjo

They are only cheapies, used to be able to get them from Dick smiths, bought several pairs a few years back and still use them, think they are Digitor brand by memory, and I have not been able to get any new ones, also have a couple of pairs of the older koss uR80's, they are good in the colder weather.

Dont like the harness system either but only set that up for the sdc, I use just a waist belt with an over the shoulder strap for the bungy when using the 4500, I use a reeds wireless set up for that and the behind the neck headphones work well with that set up, where they just plug into the recieving link fitted into a pouch on the belt.

au-fever

Back to top Go down

Post by AnnieL on Thu 25 Dec 2014, 8:32 pm

A little bit of info here about SDC2300 'volume' and weight -
"I was very pleased to find that although I am 5’ 11”, the SDC 2300 had more length than I needed. I advise those who like to run a coil way out front that when running slightly heavier detectors balance is very important, so keep the shaft as short as possible. At full extension the SDC is slightly nose heavy; pulling the lower shaft in about 4” will have the detector hang more naturally on your arm leading to less fatigue.

Finally, the narrow profile of the control housing and the small size of the handle mounted control panel are pleasantly surprising in actual use. The weight of the SDC is close to your side and with the shaft set properly the detector feels lighter than the weight would imply. My first impression of the overall ergonomics of the SDC 2300 was quite positive."

And -
"My rechargeable batteries were still going strong at over 6 hours when I hung it up and headed home. Chris and others have pounded this location so I my hopes for finding gold were not all that high. I was pleased to find the SDC 2300 on the recommended setting of Normal Mode sensitivity “2” ran smooth as can be on this hot ground. Going to higher sensitivity levels just seemed to increase ground noise such that I did not feel it advantageous at this location, and when testing settings on the little bits of steel I found higher sensitivity did not really help. I recommend people resist the temptation to run the sensitivity up unless doing so retains a smooth threshold. A smooth threshold is very important to picking out those tiny targets and too much sensitivity resulting in ground noise defeats the purpose.

The SDC ran rock solid although the threshold is more reminiscent of the older GP detectors than the GPX series in that it has a slight wavering sound at some threshold settings."

From - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

AnnieL

Back to top Go down

Post by Moneybox on Fri 26 Dec 2014, 12:05 am

I gave Mrs M a set of Sun Ray Pro earphones with the adapter for Christmas so hopefully she'll be happy to try the SDC again when we get within reach of some gold.

Last edited by Moneybox on Fri 26 Dec 2014, 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling error)
Moneybox

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum