Anomolies East or West

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Anomolies East or West

Post by Snuggs2012 on Tue 20 Dec 2011, 10:18 pm

I had the chance to speak to a geo who works for one of the mining companies here in WA. He kept talking about anomolies (gold bearing ground) and that in the southern hemisphere they run North-South and in the Northern Hemisphere they run East-West.
Now I don't know if this is true or not but seems to me looking at the WA gold, it does run North-South. But during my googling, I came across a story which said a lot of gold was missed by the old timers coz they didn't bother with quartz outcrops that ran East-West.
But here's the interesting bit, the opinion that was given in the story was, if they had bothered to dig test trenches in both directions they would have found the lead.
Anyone ever heard of this. Or is it just a theory.

cheers
Snuggs

Snuggs2012

Back to top Go down

Re: Anomolies East or West

Post by Guest on Wed 21 Dec 2011, 2:31 pm

When a reef runs east-west into a normal north-south reef I heard that it can be a rich 'contact zone'

Not sure if I've heard it or read it so can't supply any useful info...Hopefully someone will be able to.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 21 Dec 2011, 4:32 pm

Ive found gold in reefs that run in all directions in WA, but the ones that ive done the best on are the ones that
run slightly west of north.

Over in sth aust the old blokes made the mistake of 99% leaving the east/west reefs and leaders
alone cause they beleived that they were barron loads, but i know plenty of gold thats been picked up
from them reefs also.

The main reasons for gold being or not being in a certain reef are the country rocks its associated
with and the other minerals and rock types present in the emediate reef area, such as jaspers, slates
porphry's, BIF, limey rocks etc

Back to top Go down

Post by Yellow Hornet on Sat 24 Dec 2011, 9:47 am

I also read somewhere that the reefs run north/south and the leaders that come of the main reef run east west. More likliehood of there being yellow if the quartz is associated with other rock, ironstone greenstone slate and others. Also the more the quartz is discoloured the liklier it is to have other stuff with it.

Having said that I have seen a couple of areas in the nanna state where the visible quartz reefs are almost pure white and not far from what were apparently very payable grounds. By not far I mean about 50 to 80 yards. I suppose that is what they referred to as patchy ground. In one particular place the clay around the white quartz had a bluish green tinge to it.

Crazy Pete, what is BIF?

Yellow Hornet

Back to top Go down

Post by golden on Mon 09 Jan 2012, 6:29 pm

BIF could be this:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Interesting i asked this question yesterday to one of the experienced guys.This is his answer:

all gold reefs over here run north south give or take 8deg off true north most of the gold sheds to the east in vic but larger bits go west to a degree , dont know y but thats the norm.

golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 09 Jan 2012, 6:59 pm

Thanks Nuggs

Sorry YH i missed your post somehow.

As nuggs 's link says, banded ironstone formation, you dont overly often find gold in that but when you
do it can be very rich.

Pete

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum